• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New S939 cpu?

Soldato
Hi all,
Just wondering on your thoughts of what socket 939 chip to go with.
After an Abit AV8-3rd Eye so I can keep my good old Radeon X800 Pro for now.
Just a little confused, don't want to spend a whole load of cash, won't be overclocked (much) and needs to run nearly 24/7.

Will be used in my workstation, bit of video encoding, bit of games, bit of music work.

Cheers!
Ade

Soldato
OP
Not really decided....was gonna get the AV8 because it's on special this week :)
Also was considering going 2nd hand for now, any recommendations?

Last edited:
Soldato
Second hand cpus? Well, you could get a 3200 for not very much i suppose.

To be honest, if it was me I wouldn't get a second hand cpu. Firstly the channels through which you can get them (the bay) are often dodgy with delicate electronics - how can you prove it arrives DOA, and disprove to the seller it wasn't you who broke it?

Also with new cpus there's a nice 3 year warranty. Its worth the extra 20 quid to go new, imo.

If you are to a strict budget, don't go lower than a 3200 imo, and the 3700 as I say, is awesome value - 2.2ghz AND 1mb cache!

Soldato
OP
Yeah, tis true, but not going the auction site route, more likely from the MM here.
My main system is getting a little old now, Athlon @ 2ghz with 1 gig ram.
I need to upgrade, but at not too great a price.

Soldato
Fair enough, the MM is far more reliable. Just keep your eyes peeled on the MM, asa soon as you see something, snap it up and then buy the mobo off the internet, as then if you can't find a cpu you haven't got an empty mobo sitting around.

Soldato
hogfather said:
To be honest, if it was me I wouldn't get a second hand cpu. Firstly the channels through which you can get them (the bay) are often dodgy with delicate electronics - how can you prove it arrives DOA, and disprove to the seller it wasn't you who broke it?
Hi,

not sure what your on about, but I bought several cpus from auction and all have worked perfectly.

Paypal and feedback are there for a reason, probably just as risky to buy stuff from members market.

If you can buy it new then that sounds a good thing, but you cant always buy the thing you want from regular channels.

Soldato
Well like I say, its quite possible its DOA, but you can't prove it can you?

Increasingly people are afraid to leave negative feedback for fear of getting neg back, which isnt what its for, but what can you do?

Soldato
OP
micromart - there are restrictions on being able to access the members mart, have a looksy around and you'll find out what they are. It's a number of posts count for starters...

Soldato
OP
Yup, I agree with the neg feedback thing, but if someone says it's tested ok then you should have no worries about giving them neg if it is DOA surely???

Micromart, now worries buddy, get posting and you can join in the fun!

Soldato
If something is sold *tested* as working, then it should be working. If it isn't you return it for a full refund. If the seller wont let you return it then the neg feedback comes into effect, also if you pay for something using Palpay you have some kinda cover.

I bought about 40-50 hardware components *used* and I have had no problems so far, although I only really deal with people who have 100% perfect feedback and always read the ads carefully. .

kbc

kbc

Associate
3dcandy said:
Yup, I agree with the neg feedback thing, but if someone says it's tested ok then you should have no worries about giving them neg if it is DOA surely???

Micromart, now worries buddy, get posting and you can join in the fun!

Getting a bit off-topic now, but even if you purchase off these auction sites, often you can contact the buyer and tell them it was DOA and send it back providing it was a reliable seller. I'm sure most people do this before leaving a negative feedback. (edit: just noticed post above, on the same lines of things)...

Back
Top Bottom