My cars LPG Conversion

Associate
Today is the day I get my Jeep back :D
3.5 days and £2k lighter!
BUT from now on I will be able to purchase fuel at 33.5p/ltr.

I have just had a Sequential Gas Injection system installed, giving me about 70ltr of LPG where the spare wheel used to be.
Instead of it costing me ~£60 for a full tank of petrol, it will now cost about £23 AND I will get the same mileage to the tank, and no loss of power :D

I am chuffed to bits, to say the least. Also emissions and particulate emissions will be down by up to 90%!! So not only am I saving money, I am being green, and still have plenty of power to have fun.

GO Me!

Associate
can't the government tax lpg like petrol later this year? the only reason its cheaper atm is because there is a maximum tax that the government are allowed to do on lpg atm. that runs out this year.

Associate
OP
Dangerous said:
If he uses a tank a week will be about 52 weeks :)

Not a bad estimate Dave, I have calculated it will take about 14months, due to the appauling MPG my car gives.

LPG is unlikely to rise to the astronomical levels of tax that petrol has for the next few years at least, I would have thought.It is considerably more efficient and friendly to the environment, so the Govt. would shoot itself in the foot if they did that. Although all things considered, the Govt. are not exactly logical in thier decision making.
My thinking, is that they will rase the duty in line with the cost of petrol. I.E. petrol Rises by 1p/ltr, so LPG will rise by the same.

Associate
FakeSnake said:
Instead of it costing me ~£60 for a full tank of petrol, it will now cost about £23 AND I will get the same mileage to the tank, and no loss of power :D

GO Me!

i'm afraid you will be down on mpg figures by about 10% and will see a small amount of power loss but nothing drastic!

Associate
OP
CB666 said:
i'm afraid you will be down on mpg figures by about 10% and will see a small amount of power loss but nothing drastic!

That was certainly the case with the slightly older 'Mixer' systems. but independant tests have shown the SGI system to be practically as efficient as normal petrol. The SGI system has proper injectors installed in the inley manufold, just like the petrol ones, whereas the mixer system, literally mixes it prior to the cylinder.
Anyway, as its a 4.7ltr V8, i doubt I will notice any power loss, and what mpg difference they may be, will be so low, I wont notice that either.

Soldato
CB666 said:

Yep, a small loss of performance and economy is inevitable as LPG has only 70-75% of the energy content of petrol. With a decent sized engine the performance probably won't be noticeable in day to day use though.

Associate
Fake, can i ask what mpg you're seeing out of it on gas and what kind of driving that is?

i.e. town, country, combined or motorway.. driving sensibly / foot welded to floor/etc/etc

been looking at rangerovers with LPG conversions, either 3.5 carb on mixers or 3.9 with gas injectors to replace the petrol ones..

trying to work out if one would be feasible for useing as a commuter car, my commute is some A-road but mostly inner-city traffic

:)

Associate
OP
At the moment, I have no idea what MPG on Gas, as I will only get it back from the conversion in an hour! On petrol I get about 17 around town, and 23-25 on motorway runs. If I plant my foot, and play silly beggers its perfectly possible to hit single figures!
I will keep this thread updated once I get a few tanks through the system

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
More people that move away from petrol the more they will have to tax lpg to keep the tax income from fuel(s) the same.

He's right, a lot of people moved away from diesel to veg oil, so they adjusted the tax and added an additional 20p/l. Cheers gordon.

Associate
The frozen tax rate on LPG allready expired and duty on it rose by 3pence last september while petrol duty rose by none in the end. The chancellor said he will raise it by similar amounts in future, 10% or so

LPG is far higher octane so it could give the same power as petrol if properly tuned, theres companies that sell boxes to advance timing for this purpose

Associate
FakeSnake said:
That was certainly the case with the slightly older 'Mixer' systems. but independant tests have shown the SGI system to be practically as efficient as normal petrol. The SGI system has proper injectors installed in the inley manufold, just like the petrol ones, whereas the mixer system, literally mixes it prior to the cylinder.
Anyway, as its a 4.7ltr V8, i doubt I will notice any power loss, and what mpg difference they may be, will be so low, I wont notice that either.

still the same with SGI systems m8 and you will be down on mpg, trust me i know with my system.

Soldato
LPG gives lower economy than petrol in the majority of cars, which is something to be aware of. Howcome it gives the same in the Jeep, out of interest?

Back
Top Bottom