xp & media center?

Soldato
On a laptop? Is there really any point having Media Center?

But yes, the above poster is correct. You can have a dual boot system and when you boot there is a lovely menu asking you which OS you would absolutely love to start :D

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
the reason for wanting to do it on the laptop is its the only thing with wireless in the house and i use it when i can more so then my PC at the mo. And id like to be able to play movies on the xbox with it. I will put it on my PC as well once i have that sorted out.

Caporegime
You may as well just use MediaPortal and install that in XP.

MCE is near enough XP Home with added media software.

A quick question though - do you have a TV capture card in your laptop?

And were you aware that you can have MCE (Extender) in your XBox itself.

If it's a question of controling your media centre, you can use the web plugin for MCE on your main PC, and control it via your wireless lappy.

Soldato
OP
well basically all i was after was to be able to play movies from the PC to my 360. With that media portal thing is it possible to do that or not??

Soldato
No, as the 360 works as a media centre extender and media portal AFAIK does not.

As already posted, XPMCE is basically XP with the added media application. If you didn't run the MCE application you'd think it was just XP Pro.

BTW - Can the 360 play back divx/xvid avi files yet? I though it was still just wmv & mpeg?

Caporegime
Scottland said:
BTW - Can the 360 play back divx/xvid avi files yet? I though it was still just wmv & mpeg?

no it cant, my brother would use mce on his xbox but it would be useless with no divx/xvid support. Espically since hdtv stuff is too big to srteam through 54mbps wireless.

Last edited:
Don
just buy XPmce and install that INSTEAD of your current windows install, the xpmce front end is just a program that you open within the normal xp layout itself :)

so you can use it as a 'normal' pc within the operating system, you just can't join domains (without hacking a bit)

Back
Top Bottom