• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6100 vs 6200

Soldato
I'm thinking of building a HTPC system but am unsure which mobo/gpu combo to go with.

I have been mainly looking at the nforce4 mobos. I only need it for DVD playback/ TV input etc, but I am thinking of pairing it with a Acer AL1916W 19" Widescreen (1440 x 900).

I'm just wandering if it's worth the extra money for a 6200 or just to stick with a 6100 nforce410 mobo, as I read they are both based on the same card. I can't seem to find any performance charts with them both either :(

Associate
The onboard 6100 will be fine for dvd playback, just dont expect it to play any recent games properly. I built PC for the inlaws with a asus mobo with gf6100 onboard graphics and a athlon 64 3000. I had a play b4 I passed it on, it just played DOD:S at 800x600 with everything on low and got between 15 - 30 FPS It also got about 750 in 3Dmark05 which agress with the link above

Get the one with the 6150 if you can, its about £5 more but ther graphics is clocked a touch higher. Pipe wise I think the 6200 has 4 pipes and the 6100/6150 has 2 pipes

Associate
GeForce 6100 and GeForce 6150 are available for pairing with 410 and 430 MCPs to create integrated graphics solutions. Again, the main differences are served best in table format. Codenamed C51, there's a fair difference between the two versions of that GPU.

Feature GeForce 6100 GeForce 6150
HD Video No Yes
TV Encoder No Yes
Can act as a 2nd head No Yes

The 6100 therefore sits as the very low cost version of the two, not fast enough or feature rich enough to warrant using outside of anything but very cheap systems. 6150 is much more interesting, offering support for HD Video (although only H.262-class at good speed right now), a TV encoder (for output to TV) and support for running itself as another display output on your PC system in conjunction with a discrete graphics card.

6150 is a PureVideo-supporting graphics chip from NVIDIA, so it gets driver support for HD video (although NVIDIA were only able to demonstrate it decoding H.262/MPEG-2/DVD-class video during the launch presentation, support for H.264-class decode acceleration seemingly coming later).

Both versions have two fragment units, one vertex unit and two pixel output engines. Clocks are 475Mhz for the 6150 and 425MHz for 6100. Both parts support Shader Model 3.0, bringing that to integrated graphics for the very first time in a DX9-class part.

The TV encoder on the 6150 supports component, S-Video and compostive out, as well as a TMDS for DVI support. DVI on the mainboard backplane will be cool to see. Both chips are also able to be passively cooled, bringing us on nicely to the announcement that these two parts and NVIDIA's first graphics products created on a 90nm process. Manufactured by TSMC, the 90nm process allows NVIDIA to back the transistors needed for the 6100 and 6150 into a chip package small enough and frugal enough to sit on the mainboard and be passively cooled even at top clocks.

NVIDIA are open about the fact the spec of both 6100 and 6150 aren't up to HD gaming, and Tarinder will be comparing the 6150 variant to various low-end discrete boards to see where performance sits.

Finally and quite obviously, the GPUs use NVIDIA TurboCache technology to dynamically use system memory as local GPU memory for framebuffer space and 3D processing.

Associate
Go with a 6150 rather then the 6100. The 6150 is better suited to the task. It can do High Def rather then just standard def. It will also do better video scaling as well.

Alternatively look at the new 7300GS instead rather then the 6200. They can be found on-line for less then £50.

Soldato
OP
ParadoX said:
Feature GeForce 6100 GeForce 6150
HD Video No Yes
TV Encoder No Yes
Can act as a 2nd head No Yes
cool :) I will try to get a 6150 mobo then or else just go for a 6200. Looking at the features.
Spec so far seems to be about £300 without the tv input card and without the monitor :eek: will be worth it tho I guess :)

Back
Top Bottom