• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Graphics card - 1900xtx or G71?

Associate
I've got £500 set aside for a new GPU and I'm not sure the 1900xtx has tempted me enough to warrant splashing out.

So far, ive read a number of reports saying the XTX is faster but when looking at the benchmarks, it seems to beat the 512GTX only by a small margin and not in every comparison - check out the benchmarks on www.theinquirer.net!

I heard the G71 is out in march so it would seem that holding for an extra month or so may be the way to go. Sounds like this new G71 will really kick ass!

Is anyone else is holding onto their £££ for the moment until the G71 arrives?

Associate
I think it would be worth waiting for a while to see what nvidia bring out. Sometimes I wish I did! But I am still limited by my LCD resolution to 1280 x 1024 so I am staying with my gtx EE.

Soldato
I'm definitely waiting for G71 before making a decision.
I have a strong feeling that we won't be seeing any 'new' cores from either camp for a long time after these 2, so whichever card I get, it should hopefully stay top-end for a year or so (like my trusty old 6800U).

Soldato
Sir Random said:
I'm definitely waiting for G71 before making a decision.
I have a strong feeling that we won't be seeing any 'new' cores from either camp for a long time after these 2, so whichever card I get, it should hopefully stay top-end for a year or so (like my trusty old 6800U).

G80 which is out,later on this year is the new core.

Same with ati.The xti xt1900 is r580 core..there new one coming later is r600 core.

Looking how the gpu cards are changing lately...A top end card will last 3 to 4 months at the top..If your very lucky that is..

Last edited:
Soldato
Sin-Tex said:
I am also waiting on the G71 as i know it will rock, leaving ATI peeps crying with there second rate cards.
A nice helpful post :rolleyes:.

Gawd, one of the reasons I don't bother coming in here much these days - so pathetic.

To the OP - Might be worth waiting. The G71 looks to be a beast again. These days it's pretty much ATi release good card, 2 months later nV release beast, ATi release card to beat beast, nV unravel new beast. ATi are playing catch up a little on the current generation. When R600 and G80 hit the shelves, it's going to be back all square again I should think.

About these cards lasting - yup Vista comes with DX10, so not much hope of that. Then again, Vista is scheduled for Nov this year release and games with not all suddenly require a DX10 100% card.

The only game I'm waiting for now is UT2007. OMG - can't wait for that. My dual core running nicely although my X800XT might struggle. Might get a 7800GT or similar though as a small upgrade when G71 is released. I mean X1800XT 512MB @ £293inv VAT anyone?!! :eek:

Associate
i was in this position and came to the conclusion that although the G71 will probably be quicker I am going to get a couple of more months use out of the x1900 as I just know that once DX10 comes around with some games i am too weak to resist ;), this combined with my belief that the performace isnt going to be that different made me just go for the x1900.

just my twisted logic :p

Associate
Wait for the G71. The 1900 is a great card but for a few weeks (or months) of waiting could see you wishing you had waited. However, if your playing the waiting game you might aswell wait for next gen cards but that's no fun.

In summary, if you want something now get the 1900 as it's a great card but if you don't mind waiting a few weeks or months you may aswell wait for the G71.

Associate
OP
WiBu said:
Wait for the G71. The 1900 is a great card but for a few weeks (or months) of waiting could see you wishing you had waited. However, if your playing the waiting game you might aswell wait for next gen cards but that's no fun.

In summary, if you want something now get the 1900 as it's a great card but if you don't mind waiting a few weeks or months you may aswell wait for the G71.

I think I'll do that. Its a nice position to be in, just waiting to see what around the next corner. Still, it would be good to hear a few more statements from Nvidia as its gone quiet recently.

For me, waiting for Vista and DX10 is not a good plan. I see it rather like the dual core Procs: not really getting their full potential as software vendors havent adapted yet. The same goes for 64bit software too - no-one is really making use of its full potential. Granted this will start to change when Microsoft start pushing the technology but thats a way off...

I've found through experience, going for bleeding edge is an enthusiasts market. Better going for the tried and tested stuff that works now and is supported now, not in a years time.

Caporegime
G71 is March, and by all accounts will be better than the x1900, but id say wait till the summer for the proper next gen cards R600/G80, as the cards that they are releasing at the moment are just so they can get 1 up on each other as they are just re-hashes of the cards before them with a just a bit more oomph, x1900 is the same as the x1800 apart from it has 48x shader units compared to the x1800's 16x, and its clocked higher, G71 will probably be exactly like the 512mb GTX, just clocked higher to beat the x1900. :)

Soldato
why dont you buy it... just get it, why bother waiting. why wait? wait for what exactly.. a better card.. with your better card that will be bettered.. :p

just get the x1900xt...dont bother with xtx... its just a clocked xt which you can do yourself.

Associate
OP
lemonkettaz said:
why dont you buy it... just get it, why bother waiting. why wait? wait for what exactly.. a better card.. with your better card that will be bettered.. :p

just get the x1900xt...dont bother with xtx... its just a clocked xt which you can do yourself.

Well, I'm just not convinced with the 1900. After looking at the reviews and hype I'm not sure its really any better than the 512GTX but it is certainly cheaper!

I figure that I'll wait to see what happens with the G71, if they announce a possible release date of march then I'll wait but any later than that and I'll buy the 1900.

I really hope they dont slap a £600 price tag on it because thats just plain stupid. I read in the OCUK forum somewhere that it would be more likely to be £500 and that the GTX512 would go down in price.

Back
Top Bottom