Why are films by old Saturday Night Live cast members so much better?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
This is something I've been thinking about for the last few days, especially since I saw Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy a couple of days ago.

The likes of John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Mike Myers, Billy Crystal, Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, John Candy et al gave us films that we'd now call classics, such as The Blues Brothers, Wayne's World, Ghostbusters, Animal House, Three Amigos etc. Most of these are still funny to this day, and were often extremely innovative.

The more recent films by SNL regulars just don't seem to have the charm and belly laughs that the older films have, or even appear to have been made with the same amount of passion and effort. Will Ferrell is a funny guy and carries a lot of the movies he's in, but the scripts for a lot of the movies he's in just feel like they were knocked up over a weekend. Adam Sandler seems to get big budgets for his films but again they seem rushed and are often based on rehashed ideas from old movies. Chris Farley was underused in bit-parts and over the top in main roles, and David Spade's films were/are almost all dire without exception. I do like Chris Rock's performances but they're usually in someone else's rubbish film.

I would accept that it's because they're just shameless cash-in movies if that weren't true of most of the old ones too. Blues Brothers and Wayne's World were both direct spin-offs of SNL sketches and I love both films and probably always will. In ten to twenty years time will people regard Anchorman or, god forbid, A Night at the Roxbury with as much affection? Unlikely.

So I ask, why are the current hip Hollywood crowd just not coming up with the comedy goods like their predecessors did, or am I just missing the point entirely? Maybe they need to do more hard drugs or something. :D

Sic

Sic

Soldato
sounds like you just prefer older films. i happen to quite like Mr Sandler, and thought the longest yard was really good. they're just not to your taste.

i want Dane Cook to be in films. he's my favourite SNL presenter

Associate
...Movie idea number 2305, Adam Sandler is trapped on an island and falls in love with a coconut...

I agree, guys like Bill Murray & Chevy Chase were hilarious.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Sic said:
i happen to quite like Mr Sandler, and thought the longest yard was really good. they're just not to your taste.

Of the lot, I think Sandler is one of the funniest - I especially like his songs that I've heard from when he used to do stand-up. Happy Gilmore, as an exception to what I've said up to now, is one of my favourite films but since then I don't think he's made anything near as funny. The Longest Yard was amusing, but being a remake it just felt unnecessary and too much like a money-spinner.

I'm not saying that the current films don't make me laugh, just that they seem to rely on the cheap laugh rather than the clever one.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Raist said:
I can't believe you placed Mike Myers in with the 'old' SNL members. :p Mike started a new genre of humour and IMO is one of the most brilliant comedy writers of our time.

Wayne's World came out almost fifteen years ago though (old mode :()! I agree with what you're saying, but I don't think it's unfair to compare him to the older members because he feels like one of the pioneers of that generation. The current members don't feel like they're advancing or coming up with anything new. Maybe I'm just being a bit of a comedy snob, like those that say there's no good music being made these days; there is, it's just not necessarily the mainstream stuff any more.

daz

daz

Soldato
I think if Chris Farley was still alive he would be one of the most popular mainsteam comedy actors. David Spade just hasn't done anything since his best bud died.

Chris Rock is probably one of the biggest stand-up comedians around.

Last edited:
Soldato
Belmit said:
Wayne's World came out almost fifteen years ago though (old mode :()!
I hear ya. I just think of Chase, Pryor, Belushi, Aykroyd and such in the late '70s as the original cast and therefore the old gang (which I grew up on). Then there was the Myers' generation, etc. So, though well older than modern SNL, I still wouldn't consider him an oldie.

daz said:
I think if Chris Farley was still alive he would be one of the most popular mainsteam comedy actors.
A radio talk show here recently was discussing how we don't have any 'big' comedy actors anymore. Chris Farley was the last of 'em. John Goodman might still fit the role, but he doesn't really do comedy parts anymore. Now snucks like Martin Lawrence have to dress up as fat women to try and get a laugh.

Last edited:

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Sutters said:
...Movie idea number 2305, Adam Sandler is trapped on an island and falls in love with a coconut...

I agree, guys like Bill Murray & Chevy Chase were hilarious.
Funny you should say that. He may be starring in a Giligans Island remake.

As for the old SNL movies, love. LOVE EM!
All the old ones where great, and so is SNL sketches. But im really digging the Frat Pack movies these days (the Will Ferral, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Owen and Luke wilson Adam Sandler, and Vince Vaughn grouping )
All their films are pure gold. Especially when Tod Philips is involved. Old Skool, Anchorman, Dodge Ball etc.
All brilliant.

Soldato
daz said:
Perhaps Jim Carrey could be considered one Raist (obviously wasn't in SNL though)? :)
Not exactly a 'big' comedian, either. :D

actors2bg.jpg

Mic

Mic

Soldato
daz said:
Jack Black is in that gang?
Yep. Only in Anchorman though.
Theres an actual fan site out there with the member and the "semi" members, like Steve Carol and Snoop Dog.

Ah John candy, how we miss ye.

Back
Top Bottom