• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

x850xt > 7800GT?

Associate
Hi,

Just wondering what sort of performance increase a 7800GT would have over an x850xt. I've seen a few benchies but i always feel that they dont give as good a picture of how the cards perform in games than hearing from people who have used both cards. I'm not looking to get a 7800Gt just now, probably in around a month as memory and cooling is next but it would be nice to know how decent a boost i'll get in case any come up on this week only at an unresistable price :p

Cheers,
Zeph.

Associate
Id say go for it, your not going to see a massive fps boost in games but your games should look a lot nicer because of the 7800gt having newer technology over the X850

Plus the price is irresistible!

Soldato
TBH im not loaded :p

But at that price it was irresistable... Plus this card will keep up with the games i play for atleast two years..

Then im gonna sell my X800 XL to get some, small amount of money back

Associate
What res are you running your games at?
if it 1280/1024 or less I wouldn't bother changing your card
I have got a very similar system to yours and I can play most games maxed out with a bit of ocing.
If it was me I would buy a watercooling kit instead, well worth it.
Just thought I would voice my opinion its totally upto you

Associate
OP
At the moment i play at 1280x1024 as i only have a crt monitor.. Philips 107x4 which CCC reports as having a max resolution of 1920x1080. To be honest i've never played at any other resolution than that in the 3 years of having it. After i'm finished with the tower i plan on getting a larger tft so in that respect i'm also thinking towards the future.

Zeph.

Associate
Thats a fair comment
If your looking to play above 1280/1024 with hi aa/af
then you will benafit from the faster card
Personaly I would stick to the x850xt and upgrade once the prices have dropped
but if you can see an use for it know then go for it.
Have fun mate

Associate
OP
Hmm perhaps you are right, especially with the 1900xt just out and nvidias contribution due in March.

Just decided to try the max reported resolution on the monitor out of curiosity and OUCH sore on the eyes! Somehow i thing CCC doesnt report the correct value for this as there is no way this monitor can handle 1920x1080 it was like a flashing brainwashing video!!

Caporegime
I've thought about going from x850xtpe to 7800GT and decided it wasn't worth the hassle, the only real advantage is the SM3 and HDR which isn't worth it for me at the moment. The X1800XT 512mb looks like my next upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom