Quake 4 server!! ARRRGH

Associate
Hey i'm trying to set up a internet server for quake 4, got a spare machine set up on network which is runnind a dedicated server. i think i have opened the ports and pointed them towards the network ip of the server, but no on from the outside can seem to join!!! :mad: how do i find out the IP for people to connect remotely to it? all i did was go to wots my ip.com and put that ip with the correct port number.

got any ideas such as do ntl block any ports?

Setup:

NTL modem > Cat5 > Wireless cable router thingy > Cat 5 > to switch > to server machine.

very frustrating

thanks in advance

EDIT: i am only running windows firewall and i said unblock when it asked.

EDIT 2: i disabled windows firewall

Last edited:
Associate
OP
well what i have done is in my router setup i have forwarded the port 28004 to the network ip, so when someone connects to my ip with that port number it should forward the connection to my network ip. if that makes sense

Associate
OP
Yes windows XP

yes i can join the server via lan no problem, but thats using my local address 192.168.1.112

i need people to join remotely so that ip is no good to them at all. :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i'll try it but do you have a reason for opening that port, as Quake4 defaults to 28004 :S

EDIT : ok just got a mate to ping my ip and it comes up with 100% packet loss, so that probably the problem. why wouldn't people be able to ping my ip??

Last edited:
Don
heartbeat opens to that.

If they can't reach your server (you can't ping serverip:port, need to ping just ip) then you won't be able to reach them.

It will be something either the firewall, or the router which is stopping it. More than likely the router.

Associate
OP
ok they couldn't ping my ip (no port) so you say its probably the router. what setting would stop people pinging me in he router setup?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom