• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Confused on how my new 7800GT should perform

Associate
I just got a 7800 GT to go with a new A8N Deluxe motherboard and was wondering on performance. I haven't been paying attention to any form scores/benchmarks for a while now so dont really know what to expect.

On defaults (nothing overclocked - only thing i've changed is 1T/2T command to 1T) i get 6655 in 3DMark05. This is with driver set to defaults and same for 3DMark. Is this normal?

Haven't run any game benchmarks but should the following run ok at my given settings or am i CPU limited for example:

Farcry - 1280x1024, 4XAA, 8XAF, everything set to Very High. Runs ok i guess, slows down a fair bit in the jungle though.

Doom 3 - 1280x1024, 4XAA, 8XAF, everything set to High. Same as above, seems to stick to 60FPS most times, drops a bit though. timedemo 1 gave 50 FPS at the settings listed here.

I run Vsync for games, turned it off (or defaulted to app choice) for 3DMark though.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Man of Honour
are all latest drivers installed? like pci-e, chipset, nvidia ect..

my 7800GT scores 7450 its the extreme version, but the normal one shouldnt be that far behind.

Associate
OP
800 more for a slightly faster CPU and gfx card. Mine seems ok i guess.?

Wow. Those COD2 benchmarks 2 are scary. Looks like i'm getting about what i should then?

Yeah, i installed the latest ForceWare, nForce drivers and DX9.

Thanks!

Soldato
Not sure, but I had Cod 2 at those settings on mine (Spec in sig) with an overclock on the GFX to 480/1150 and it never really seemed jerky at all at any time to be honest. Felt fluid and responsive.

30 fps to me would seem jerky in the thick of it.

Soldato
Have you enabled SLI in COD2, this gives a performance boost even if you have a single card.

According to the FIringsquad review linked in this thread a 7800GT gets 26,5 fps average at 1280*1024 4x/8x so it looks like your system is running fine.

Associate
OP
Does anyone know what / how i run the COD2 tests on my PC that the link in that Firing Squad article use? Be interesting to check for myself!

Still not sure about FarCry. 1280x1024, 4XAA, max aniso with maximum detail (no HDR though) and its a bit sluggish in some jungle bits.

Soldato
Are you overclocking that CPU? If not it could be your bottleneck. Since the 3000 is very overclockable you should give it a go (if you have adequate RAM and cooling) Enquire in the Overclocking forum from people with a similar rig.

Otherwise, start to OC your GT. You should be good for at least 480/1.18

HTH

CK

Back
Top Bottom