I feel awful - unwittingly just bought a tampered car :(

Associate
Oh dear, the car I just bought has been tampered with. On closer inspection I can see that the numbers are out of alignment...which can only mean one thing.
Aside from my complete and utter stupidity [which i dont feel like discussing here at the moment.... :( ] I just cant get round my stupendous lapse in judgment...all the signs were there; recent work to the car to get it past MOT etc.
I guess I was just needing a car so badly that I just bought it. I looked at the MOT cert from dec05 and the mileage there was very close to what is displayed. I had asssumed that something like mileage tampering would be noted.

Bascially I dont know what to do now. I feel awful because I now realise that I am about to be the registered owner of a tampered car [am i breaking the law now? :( ]. Is there anything I can do? I cant go back to the seller that doesnt matter now its too late in my case [dont ask - it gets more embarassing]. I'm only concerned about two things right now:
- should i try to sell it off obviously a lot cheaper than I got it and just cut my losses?
or
- keep the car and run it into the ground and face the humiliation when my parents see the obviously tampered car who will then get extremely angry that i just bought it.

paid 900 for it but i bet its now worth half that...

god i feel like crying

Associate
OP
ford fiesta zetec 1.25 - P reg - 82K on the clock - 82k on last mot - but must have been tampered as the numbers are out of alignment.

Soldato
I wouldnt worry to be honest....

As long as the cars in decent enough condition for the price, dont worry in the slightest at that price.

It may not have been tampered with anyway, you never know.

Man of Honour
Right, a few thoughts from me...

a) Are you SURE it's been clocked? Just becuase the numbers are 'out of alignment' doesn't neccesarily mean its been clocked. Remember, each row moves at a different speed, so they wont perfectly line up

b) If it had been clocked, it would have IMHO been clocked to show a lower mileage than 82k.

c) Regardless of mileage, 900 quid for a Mk4 Fiesta 1.25, assuming it isnt absolute poverty spec and is in reasonably good condition, is not a bad deal.

I know you feel bad but try to put things in perspective - you've still paid a reasonable price.

Associate
Brain said:
Oh dear, the car I just bought has been tampered with. On closer inspection I can see that the numbers are out of alignment...which can only mean one thing.
Aside from my complete and utter stupidity [which i dont feel like discussing here at the moment.... :( ] I just cant get round my stupendous lapse in judgment...all the signs were there; recent work to the car to get it past MOT etc.
I guess I was just needing a car so badly that I just bought it. I looked at the MOT cert from dec05 and the mileage there was very close to what is displayed. I had asssumed that something like mileage tampering would be noted.

Bascially I dont know what to do now. I feel awful because I now realise that I am about to be the registered owner of a tampered car [am i breaking the law now? :( ]. Is there anything I can do? I cant go back to the seller that doesnt matter now its too late in my case [dont ask - it gets more embarassing]. I'm only concerned about two things right now:
- should i try to sell it off obviously a lot cheaper than I got it and just cut my losses?
or
- keep the car and run it into the ground and face the humiliation when my parents see the obviously tampered car who will then get extremely angry that i just bought it.

paid 900 for it but i bet its now worth half that...

god i feel like crying

In what way has it been tampered with? so it may have had the no.plates changed and its done very little mileage since its last MOT during which it needed some work doing to get it trough. What exactly do you mean by tampered with?

NS

Soldato
Do you just mean the odometer has been clocked, or have the vin plates etc been changed?

Most cars over 50k will generally need some "work" to pass an MOT, especially a 9year old car!

I wouldnt worry personally :)

Associate
OP
I can see that the first numver is between 8 and 9 even though it should have only done 82500[ish] miles. Also should have mentioned - althoug even more embarrassed to admit - that the dash definately has been opened before since the clear plastic looked smudgy/condensated on the inside and the water temp dial is not moving and the rec dial im not too sure about...
the dealer said when i asked about it that the dash was replaced with some back/white replacement dash which normally doesnt come as standard.....total bs i think he was talking.

the more i think about this bloody car the more i just wish i didnt get the damn thing.

Don
Firestar_3x said:
I don't understand what numbers are you talking about, the VIN?

The VIN plate is a small plate bolted to the chassis that essentially uniquely identifies the car. If it's been tampered with then you should be worried. It's usually in the engine bay somewhere.

Jokester

Soldato
For a 900 quid car, I wouldn't really be all that bothered in all honesty. A hell of a lot of clocking goes on inbetween, just before MOTs - especially second hand car dealers.

Caporegime
Jokester said:
The VIN plate is a small plate bolted to the chassis that essentially uniquely identifies the car. If it's been tampered with then you should be worried. It's usually in the engine bay somewhere.

Jokester

Actually stamped into a main supporting brace under the bonnet usually in the firewall, also you should have a lift up flap to reveal the same number in one of the sills.

I was wonder which number he was refering to since if the vin had been changed thats major if its just a odometer thing thats not so bad.

Back
Top Bottom