Got a new car today.....

Soldato
After posting this thread and been quite encouraged by the replies I decided to go out and get myself a Pug 205 1.6 GTI.

I searched the Autotrader, Ad Mag and finally Ebay and I came across a nice looking 205. I went to view it in Burnley on Tueday, decided that I wanted it and went to pick it up today

You can see a picture of my new car here).

It cost me £1200 which I know sounds a lot for a 1989 (G) 1.6 but I'll give you a few more details which I think made it worth it

• 70,500 miles
  • Full service history
  • 2 owners from new
  • all previous MOTs to prove milage
  • All receipts since new to show maintenance
  • It's only done 20,000 in the past ten years
The cars also still got great body work (1 small crease on one wing) and not a spot of rust anywhere (I know they don't usually rust though).

Sadly it's not perfect. As usual the drivers seat needs replacing (bolster), the door pins need replacing on the drivers side and so does the drivers seat belt (sticks) but other than that it okay (for now).

Drove it back today and was suprised at how quick it was for quite an old (and not massivly powered) car. Put a smile on my face anyway!

The new stereo gets fitted tomorrow and the immobiliser on Monday (brought the insurance down to £322!) Anyway, i've never had a good/fast car so thought I take my only oppertunity to brag about it :D

Soldato
OP
Morba said:
205 gti's look nice, get some 1.9 alloys :D
Yeah I'm currently deliberating that! But I think I'm a purist and so the 14" :o wheels are staying I think! If I was to do anything to it I'd put the 1.9 alloys on it, change the indicators and side repeaters for clear ones and get the half leather in there too!

Man of Honour
Looks like a tidy example - Graphite grey always shines up well.
Keep the services up on it, they do like regular oil changes or the breathers eventually gum up and need stripping off and washing out (it's these blockages that tend to cause the infamous rough idling)

Keep the 1.6 wheels, less tendancy to tramline and torque steer over rough surfaces.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice Lopez. The guy I bought it off said he had just cleaned the air flow sensor so the idleing is quite constant but how often do you/they recommend oil changes? Every 6k or so?

Back
Top Bottom