i think i killed my motherboard!!!!

Associate
Just because i am so lazy i have pasted this from another forum that didnt give me an answer!

Hi i just joined this forum cus i have screwed my pc i think. I made the same mistake as the first poster, i was replacing an old heatsink and fan witha new quit system. When i detached the fan and tried to take it out it was stiking, so i pulled it a little harder(rather than swirling the heatsink) and the whole cpu and heatsink came out in one. So i checked to see if the cpu was ok, a couple of the pins were bent, so i very gently bent them back into place, everything looked fine no pins were missing, none looked cracked or anything. So i rebuilt my computer and switched it on. To find NOTHING booted up, all the fans powered up etc but nothing on my screen. At first i thought i had trashed my cpu but i looked arorund on the net and if there appears to be no damage to the pins after being put back in place it seems like it should work. So i think it could be the motherboard was damaged when the cpu ripped out of it? The release bar for the cpu was still down so i am guessing that is not good. What do you guys think is it the cpu or motherboard?

edit
last nite i swapped the graphics card for one that i knew that worked, and still nothin signal output to my monitor, i also noticed i didnt have the internal speaker on my pc so got an old one off another pc and attached that, no beeps no nothing. Finally i disconnected things like me cd and dvd drives, swapped took 1 stick of ram out, swapped it arround with the others tried changing the heatsink and fan to my old one that def worked fine but there was no diference

Associate
OP
yeah i put in a brand new seasonic psu, the other day, it has been workign fine since then. But yeah i have tried swapping it over with the old psu aswell just incase and still nothing!
oh i hate computers!!!

Associate
OP
cheers pal
well i have ordered a new pc from ****, as i can pay for it in 10 months time which is good, but i really wanna fix this one and be able to sell it to help pay for the new one!!!!
if i have damaged the socket for the cpu or the cpu itswlef shouldnt i still get bleeping noises from the speaker

Last edited:
Soldato
I would remove the little four letter word from your post. (where you ordered new PC from as it's a competitor)

We need more info here, such as the mobo and CPU.
If you cracked the CPU (you can on socket A) you should get something on boot, but it's not guaranteed.

Associate
OP
ah good point sorry about that

i am not at home so cant remember the exact spec but it is an amd64 3000+ socket 754 msi agp motherboard.

Soldato
Socket 754 chips are harder to break, but it's still possible.

I suppose you habe cleared the CMOS, not that it should matter in this instance as you have changed nothing as such, but it's worth a try.

Thinking...has the new cooler got a fan on it connected to the motherboard as per that last one?
Some motherboards can throw a wobbly if not or even a slow speed fan.

Theres a few things to try, but I guess you know how to test the CPU (in a mates machine if possible)

Associate
OP
well yeah i read about the issues with a fan, it does require power, it was all plugged in properly and powered up etc. I replaced it with the old fan too just to check if it was that, but still no signal. Unfortunatly i dont actually know anyone with a socket 754 motherboard! so i am kind of stuck on that one really, i might ask arround in the pub tonight if anyone has one i could borrow

Back
Top Bottom