Decent keyboard for gaming

Soldato
Well it turns out that they keyboard I have, a cheap and cheerful wireless job isn't any use for gaming. Was playing fear last night and things would happen randomly like I'd jump when I hadn't pressed the jump key.

Thought it was the receiver box, but nope lol problem still there.

Associate
i thought the saiteks were 'ok'
the light function is pathetic though, you have to be sitting right on top of the keyboard to be able to see it all properly. the feel and use of the keyboard is good though, which is the main thing, but im sure a cheapo keyboard would do the same job.
its got no real advantage for games compared to the G15 etc.

Associate
I like the g15 but the lcd bit is just a gimmick. The 2 usb ports are very handy but only version 1.1 :( It lights up nice at night and i have no problem seeing what i'm doing

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Keyboards_2.html
SpeedLink Ultra SL-6465 Flat Metal Keyboard (KB-000-SL)
This exclusive design comes with a robust casing of brushed aluminium, and shallow notebook-style keys mean your fingers glide easily over the keyboard - with extra light and quiet key action. For extra convenience, numerous hotkeys offer quick access to multimedia and Internet applications. A stylish addition to your work area at an equally attractive price..
Price: £19.95 (£23.44 Including VAT at 17.5%)

I got this KB from Oc a while back its ace. Great feel to it with plenty of weight it never moves whilst thrashing those keys. The profile of the keys is very low so your fingers glide over them without catching any. In use activating the keys takes just the right amount of pressure i am really happy with it.
Installed perfect with the speed buttons needing no configuration and all this for less than 25quid. they also do one with illuminated keys if thats your fancy. Either way i can hapily recommend this board for Hard core game use.
I play BF2 loads and its never let me down in any way.

Caporegime
How about an old IBM or Compaq server/desktop keyboard in sexy beige or black. I've got 3 Compaq KB-9963 keyboards here all manufactured in 1999. They're bomb proof, self centering, allways get the beers in and do a mean ruby to boot. £5 max at that auction place :)

Associate
I used to use my old alloy Coolermaster keyboard.. Took a little while to get used to the layout, ocasionally hit the wrong keys due to the cramped layout but it felt nice n smooth.

I've now got a Saitek Eclipse. The backlight/keylight feature is excellent for playing in the dark, not sure what fullfat meant by you have to be sitting ontop of it to see the keys??? It shines light around all keys, and through the actual character aswell. I can see each key very clearly even from outside of the room.

The board itself feels very solid as do the keys (which are smooth and very quiet) Layout is also excellent with a perfect spacing between keys. Oversized spacebar is also pretty cool.

Soldato
I use a shortened laptop keyboard, less space between keys seems to work best for me

Says BTC 9116 on the back

BTC9116.jpg

Like this except its black

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks a bit gimicky but the Wolfclaw keyboards are actually very nice to use. Have the type2 on my desk at home. Not massively cheap either but very would definitely recommend :) The build quality on mine was a tiny bit suspect (could have sticky keys) but popping the keys off and VERY gently shaving a little plastic off the back of them has it working like a good-un :D

Last edited:
Suspended
Malenko said:
I've now got a Saitek Eclipse. The backlight/keylight feature is excellent for playing in the dark, not sure what fullfat meant by you have to be sitting ontop of it to see the keys??? It shines light around all keys, and through the actual character aswell. I can see each key very clearly even from outside of the room.

The board itself feels very solid as do the keys (which are smooth and very quiet) Layout is also excellent with a perfect spacing between keys. Oversized spacebar is also pretty cool.

Ditto

Associate
Malenko said:
I used to use my old alloy Coolermaster keyboard.. Took a little while to get used to the layout, ocasionally hit the wrong keys due to the cramped layout but it felt nice n smooth.

i must have got unlucky with mine then, as from a normal sitting angle with the keyboard sat about a foot infront of my i couldnt see the keys clearly at all, the light seemed to spill out from around the keys instead of lighting them up, and because the light shines stright up i had to sit right over it to see the letters clearly, i thought it was a bit poor tbh, thats why i made the above comment, i would imagine its a bit hit and miss for some people though, or maybe theyre just badly built sometimes with the lights being incorrectly aligned inside.

Don
Trust me when i say this, i'm a big gamer, and all these "gamer keyboard's" they are nothing but gimics.

Aslong as the key's feel comfortable for you, and you can reach the main keys (W A S D, Shift and Space) then you will be fine.

Soldato
hilly said:
Trust me when i say this, i'm a big gamer, and all these "gamer keyboard's" they are nothing but gimics.

Aslong as the key's feel comfortable for you, and you can reach the main keys (W A S D, Shift and Space) then you will be fine.

Totally correct.

zBoard = poo poo.

-RaZ

Man of Honour
Don't forget that it's important to have a keyboard that can handle all key combinations - a lot turn their noses up when you press specific sets of 3 keys at once, causing the pc speaker to beep and don't work properly.

I've only ever used ps2 keyboards, not sure if this would happen on USB.

Soldato
OP
HangTime said:
Don't forget that it's important to have a keyboard that can handle all key combinations - a lot turn their noses up when you press specific sets of 3 keys at once, causing the pc speaker to beep and don't work properly.

I've only ever used ps2 keyboards, not sure if this would happen on USB.

Thats the problem I'm having with this dog terd i got now, NFS MW for example, fire the *** and I can't stear. I used to have a cheery cyboard, but that died 2 years ago, I miss that, best one I ever had.

I'll have a look and see what the one in OcUK ar elike, gotta have something better than this.

Back
Top Bottom