My New Car (belated thread)

Associate
Ok so I actually got my new car in late November but I kept forgetting to actually take photos and tell my OCUK Pals, so here it is :)

I've gone from my trusty rover - owned for 4 years (sold for £1000 within 24 hrs!), to a CTR. Living my dream!

rover1.jpg

Got the car, took it out on some country roads. Came back:
ctr1.jpg

Black cars eh. Worth it.

To be honest I'm glad I didnt post immediately as I couldn't give as good an impression as I can now after over 1500 miles.
Basically, I love it.
The tyres it came with were very worn on the front so I've put a full set of goodyear eagle f1s on. That helped the grip immensely though the most amazing thing i've noticed is it's quite blatent when the road surface is cold...there's a sizable drop in traction.
Obviously i'm comparing a 75hp rover to a 200hp honda so i've had to learn 100% throttle isn't always the way forward :) Infact on the old tyres it was usually somewhere on the other side of the road - crazy torque steer.

Regardless, i'm now very much so on the way to mastering this car and loving every minute. I got back into my rover after a few days of CTR driving and it felt like a clunky tractor - especially the gearbox.

The rover was my first car and I will always respect it because for the price it was untouchable in my opinion. The CTR is better in every measurable way but the rover will always be COOL.
Saying that, the steering was probably better in the rover, the CTR feels a bit lifeless through the wheel. Good job the engine note is so amazing past 5800rpm, especially with the induction kit :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
quite honestly I didnt notice much difference with the stick being where it is until I got back in the rover and its stick felt like it was somewhere down on the road!
Nice position, sure. Excellent actual gearbox too.

Associate
Man, that gearbox must take some getting used to :eek:

Nice car all the same. Don't they have some sort of rev limiter on for their first couple of services?

Associate
OP
1st tank, mostly motorway @ 70 I got 272 miles!!

basically it's been going down since then. about £37-38 gets me 200 miles with the sort of town journeys i'm doing mainly.

It ranges from 180 to 220 at the moment, quite poor but worth it. I'm sure 250miles would be the usual if the commute was motorway.

I think that rev limiter thing is for subarus? This has a definite rev limiter at nearly 9000rpm, whats interesting is hitting it doesn't feel really wrong like in other cars (though I dont do it often!)

One thing, the VTEC changeover doesn't occur if the oil temperature hasnt reached optimum. I found this out while a little over eagerly trying to show the noise to a friend. It revved past 6000rpm but there was no noise change.

Last edited:
Soldato
Paul Spiteri said:
4000rpm at 80 in 6th.
it's not a cruiser then, though it isn't loud or anything. That magic only happens higher up :)

Where's 7th?!

Aye thats the same as 5th on my VTi.

Still, you get nice short gears, my second gear is lethargic :(

Shame 6th isnt a little longer, everyone does 80 and it drinks quite badly @ 80

Associate
OP
22, £1100 from churchill (4 years no claims, 0 points)

you can't leave uni! this car is the subtotal of 1 years work after graduation. Paid for in full, pity i'm broke :D

Associate
OP
Yeah I agree with myself, for the price you're getting a really nice car that happens to also be a crazy hot hatch when you want (all the time!) :cool:

For info, I paid £11,500. It had 19.5k miles, under 18 months old and something like 2.7 years warranty remaining (prev. owner bought extension).
Also he bought 3 free services (2 remaining), GAP insurance policy, Tracker and "door sill garnish" (dont ask!).

I have the original invoices and in total he spent £19,300 so that makes my deal feel really good even if it is a money pit for me.

Back
Top Bottom