OC(UK) Host Review :-)

Man of Honour
SSH is simply a command-line interface to the server - think like start > run > cmd only a helluva lot more powerful. Makes certain tasks a lot easier and so on, but only if you know what you're doing :)

Edit: Wikipedia has lots of info :)

Also - no SSH (presumably) means you don't get SCP uploading, which means you have to transfer all your uploads over unencrypted standard FTP. Again no biggie, and I also don't know how many folk actually offer SCP anyway :)

Last edited:
Associate
glitch, you dont get ssh access from most webhosts, its not needed. The only people who need it are those who know linux and want to complile new progams etc. Register1 will perform any tasks you require on the command line for you though! :)

Man of Honour
Goatee said:
glitch, you dont get ssh access from most webhosts, its not needed. The only people who need it are those who know linux and want to complile new progams etc.
Wrong on both counts:

a) Similarly-priced packages often feature SSH (which is why I mentioned it as a lacking feature - also iirc someone's got confused about it before)

b) Most hosts would disable access to system compilers anyway so you can't compile stuff.

SSH is mega useful for downloading/unzipping/tarring/editing files directly on the server/etc - lots of quite handy tasks for an advanced user :)

'tis true that he would almost certainly not use it, so I guess discussion is moot - but better to have more accurate info for anyone else reading the thread :)

Associate
Beansprout said:
You don't get SSH access, which some people might expect with a VDS, but you don't sound like the kind of person who'd use it :)

If it's a VPS/VDS, why can't it just be enabled? With a VPS/VDS it's possible to edit any of the system config files and only affect that server with other servers unaffected whether that be sshd config, httpd.conf, php.ini or anything else.

Soldato
In Register1's case i think its because their vps or what ever they call it isn't a ture vps.

It's nice of you to show off our ickle load balancer on your network page camera foobar :p

Man of Honour
foobar said:
If it's a VPS/VDS, why can't it just be enabled? With a VPS/VDS it's possible to edit any of the system config files and only affect that server with other servers unaffected whether that be sshd config, httpd.conf, php.ini or anything else.
I'm not sure either, but their VDS page says:

SSH Access is not provided on any VDS accounts.

Then again, the same page also says:

FREE Domain Name with any VDS Pro* - 1 April 2005 until 31 Oct 2005
So who knows what's up :D

Soldato
i'm sure you all know plenty about Register1 (beansprout seems to), i'm looking to change to a more suited host, the vds pro seemed great...until they wanted to take the complete cost now...isn't there a method of payment with them?

Man of Honour
Don't think so, all or nothing so far as I know. Their support would know, though.

Most hosts allow a monthly payment option and so on :)

There isn't much flexibility with regards to "buy now, pay later" anywhere in the industry though if that's what you're getting at - simply because of spam/abuse problems :(

Soldato
that sites good and all, but I'd love to see a LIST of who everyone uses for their hosts, and what they host there - ie comercial site, one page web precence, blog, uploader, photo album, filespace etc

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
I'm going to be adding a "what site do you host" field when I have time and also giving previous reviewers the opportunity to update their review.

Back
Top Bottom