Help overclocking my intel please

Help overclocking my intel please \o/

I,ve never really o/c'd my systems before as i,ve allways had gen intel m/b's and cpu's so there was never really any options to o/c, but recently I downloaded this app from intel that lets you o/c your intel board from you desktop(only the newer boards), below is a picture of my currunt settings, I have an intel p4 3.4 and my memory stock speed is 533, the settings I can changes are, fsb, memory speed (266,333,400,533,667), memory timmings, ddr2 voltage (Auto,1.80,1.85,1.95.2.00), basicly I don't really have a clue on how far I can push my memory, cpu etc, I know increasing my fsb also increases my memory speed, Can I just keep going until my system bluescreens/freezes, will this damage my components even not increasing the voltage throuth them?, and when overclocking what does actually kill your components, is it the heat, the extra work/clock cycles they have to endure, or the extra voltage sometimes pumped throuth them?

Last edited:
Soldato
On the Intel/Intel boards not sure they let you run with an unlocked multiplier. If this is true then you can only overclock by increasing the FSB.

Most Intel/Intel boards are very poor performers/overclockers as they are built for reliability above all else.

With your current Ram + virtually any other OEM/Intel chipset board your CPU would get something like 3.8-4.0Ghz ish on air cooling as most OEM's let you tweak the voltages & unlock the CPU multiplier.

TBH how far you take the overclock depends on your philosophy/budget!
Some prefer to overclock any CPU/Ram/gfx card that moves just because they can/it can be done. Others want a quiter life so either upgrade or keep it as standard.

Even on a fast intel cpu+gfx card the realworld difference between a maximum overclock & the std speed is minimal & I doubt outside of benchmarks you would even notice it.

Any overclocking is risky. Avoid unless you do not mind troubleshooting related issues if it turns sour! Bear in mind it can also open a can of worms like do you need a better PSU to supply the additional volts to maintain stability. Do you need better/more expensive Ram to give a higher FSB etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom