ps2 looks rubbish on my sammy

Soldato
Might be the same issue I had when I hooked my Xbox 1 upto my Sammy LCD TV. Looks rubbish through even a RGB scart lead because the resolution is too low for the screen (I assume?) so it blurs it. A bit like setting a PC TFT monitor to a resolution anything other than native. Luckily I could use a component lead to sort it.

Only way to improve it would be to see if you can get component leads for the PS2, but I think support for it is pretty poor.

Caporegime
Buy a component cable, I have one and the picture looks much better. Also it allows you to play certain games in high definition and progressive scan.

Soldato
Energize said:
You can get vga adaptors for the xbox 360, and you get vga to dvi adaptors as well so you can connect that by dvi if your tv doesnt have vga in.

But it'll still be an analogue signal, just passed over a different type of plug, so the TV will still have to accept an analogue input (as in not DVI-D only).

RGB/Component on the PS2 should be miles ahead of the Composite, as composite looks awful on my 21" CRT TV, so I daren't imagine what it looks like on an LCD :eek:

What inputs does the TV have?

Last edited:
Soldato
:eek: hdmi!! is the best
vga is slightly worse
component is worse than vga
svideo is slightly worse than component
composite is wprse than svid
rgbscart is worse than composite
scart is worse than rgb
though the best to use for a ps2 is component, which is what i use,
until ps3 and hdmi outports come along

Last edited:
Man of Honour
knowledge123 said:
:eek: hdmi!! is the best
vga is slightly worse
component is worse than vga
svideo is slightly worse than component
composite is wprse than svid
rgbscart is worse than composite
scart is worse than rgb
though the best to use for a ps2 is component, which is what i use,
until ps3 and hdmi outports come along

Well some of those are wrong:

HDMI/DVI-D
Component / VGA (both have advantages / disadvantages)
RGB
S-Video
Component

No such thing as just 'SCART', 'SCART' will be either: RBG or Composite. And RGB is far better than composite.

Go for S-Video, it's the best option between Comosite and RGB.

Soldato
Get one of these and use RGB, or for slightly lower quality S-Video if you don't want to mess around with another adapter.

Alternatively, does the Sky have a spare SCART plug on the back? You could loop the PS2 into the Sky Box then from the Sky box to the TV as normal for a full RGB signal. Depends if you've got a DVD player plugged in that way currently?

Man of Honour
knowledge123 said:
umm, suppose :D well it was roughly correct, imho vga is better than component, rgb better than svideo? :eek: looks like i need to brush up my knowledge :(

VGA / Component, it varys on the TV really, as it depends if it can support the right types of stuff... don't know the details, but there are differences :p

Soldato
true, true. i have my ps2 hooked up by component to my lcd tv via component, and i have my pc hooked up by vga, and if i get really close and look at the quality, vga is slightly better quality, but most games run 720x480 i believe, where as my pc runs at 1280x720, but ive tried jak 2,3 true crime:sony and various other games which support progressive scan features and vga is (imho) better.

Soldato
OP
Phil99 said:
Get one of these and use RGB, or for slightly lower quality S-Video if you don't want to mess around with another adapter.

Alternatively, does the Sky have a spare SCART plug on the back? You could loop the PS2 into the Sky Box then from the Sky box to the TV as normal for a full RGB signal. Depends if you've got a DVD player plugged in that way currently?
ah,,, i think it might. just a sec m8. how would the ps2 work if this happened?
would you have to turn of sky to get the ps2 or something?

Back
Top Bottom