Can anyone please post 2gb Ballistix success stories...

Associate
From the many, many reviews I have read, these do seem to be by far the best kits vailable... although I appreciate that reviewers dont usually test the memory for any lengthy periods of time, so are unlikey to have them die...

Surely they cant all be that bad, I know theres many horror stories on this forum... and people only usually post when things dont work properly... but there must be some happy ballistix users out there with the 2gb kits...

Does make you wonder why they seem to be so cheap... are OCers trying to shfft the last of them quickly!!! Other comparable kits are usually about £50 more expensive!!

Anyone????

Associate
Perhaps people can post the Batch number of their sticks too?

From what i've seen it was one particular Batch that had trouble CL1115*. I'd like to know if anybody has had trouble with the CL1116* Batch as i got these ones recently from OcUK.

Associate
I didn't actually think that even on paper the Ballistix were that quick; I just though they were good for reaching to high FSBs. What are they rated? 3-4-4-8 at PC4000? The Redliners and the new OCZs are 3-3-2-8 at the same speed.

Associate
OP
http://www.insanetek.com/review.php?id=19&page=3

200MHz 2.0-2-2-5 1T 2.8v
205MHz 2.0-3-2-6 1T 2.8v
240MHz 2.5-3-3-7 1T 2.8v
295MHz 3.0-3-3-8 1T 2.8v
300MHz 3.0-3-3-8 1T 3.1v

These are some of the highest clocks Ive seen any 2gb dual kits do and for <£200... the Redliners are nearly £60 more expensive...!!

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=262

Im lookiing for a dual 2gb kit capable of running stable at 280mhz to clock my Opty 146 to 2.8ghz with a 1.1 divider... these seem to be the only ones Ive seen capable...

Last edited:
Associate
They are spectacular results both at the low latency end and the high FSB end. I didn't know any ram could do either of those combinations let alone both. It's such a shame that they burn up like candyfloss on re-entry.

Associate
OP
I think I will order them.. Ive always got 2x512mb Twinmos to fall back on if they do fail, and I could live with rma'ing them once or twice before insisting on a refund, or exchange for something else...

Although one thing I have learnt is that it may be better to run a divider with tight timings, than try to achieve 280mhz 1:1 with losse timings...

Associate
Dirk said:
I'd like to know if anybody has had trouble with the CL1116* Batch as i got these ones recently from OcUK.

No trouble yet (tempting fate or what?) but then after reading the nightmare posts on here i aint exactly pushing them at 2.7v and 265mhz.

Associate
I'm pushing them pretty hard but i know they'll go further, a lot further, if i had some good active cooling on the RAM, and some serious CPU cooling. The CPU has headrooom too but just needs better cooling.

I did try using a 120mm fan over the DIMM sockets but strangely had a negative effect on the overall temps in the case. I guess it disrupted the airflow too much. The CPU temp, PWMIC and NF4 all went up at least 4c.

These modules are the new Batch which i've heard nothing bad about yet. (Maybe in 3 months we'll all be RMA-ing our RAM). :rolleyes:

Would love to push 3.0v on this RAM but 2.85+ is too risky. Still if i had money to burn i'd love to go for a seriously high-end air cooled HSF and some active cooling solution for the RAM.

What do you think? A Scythe Ninja with a YSTech 125CFM 120mm fan? :D
Already using 1x120mmx38mm YSTech 125CFM exhaust fan and 1x80mmx25mm YSTech 45CFM side fan. 80CFM flowing in from the front grills. (Ventillation is good in this case). This should be keeping the RAM kinda cool. ;)

At idle the temps are generally between the mid to late 30s without the CPU or NF4 fan having to do much work.

I love this RAM :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom