snooker cues

Soldato
hi,
today i finally became a member of a snooker club, i have always liked playing snooker but dont play it often but now i think i will be playing everyweek. at my snooker club the cues are really poor...theres bascially no tips on the cues and some are a little bent. so i want to get myself a snooker cue. since im a beginner i dont need a brilliant and expensive one.

i have a budget of £30(not a lot i know but cant afford anything over) which i want to come with a soft or hard case. can anyone recommend me one?

Permabanned
Go to Argos they have cues for about 30 quid

Go for a 3 piece it will help when your playing snooker for longer reaching shots
and i always find they are weighted better

Ideally go to a shop that sells them and get a feel of the different weights

Then save up and buy a hard case, believe me they get bashed about getting in
and out of cars

Soldato
OP
i had a look at argos and i cant seem to find any below £30 that are 3 piece..the cheapest ones are £40...how much would a hard case cost?under £20 or more?

what snooker cue brands are good for £30?is wessexs or diablo anygood?

Permabanned
Nah go for a Riley if you can find one

Hard cases are harder to find but you can get them for 25 quid

Save up a bit more dude you can get lovely cues for 50-60 quid

I got a Burrows and Watts cue for 55 a few years back now but they are
still about

They are based around Birmingham somewhere i think if you fancy having
a search, i would but i really cant be arsed, ill have a look tomorrow for you

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
my friend has a 3 piece riley snooker cue,had a go felt quite good, the lucky sod got it for £12 from a car boot!!!!

i may try and save up 50-60quid but i doubt i would be able to because of my spur of the moment spending.lol

have you got any websites that sells lovely cues for £50-60?

Permabanned
Although you can find cases cheaper than those

Get one second hand if you can go round the car boots with your mate of need be

Soldato
OP
thank you very much G|mp well have a nice long look at those links!!!
i doubt i get one from car boots as i can imagine me getting one which a fat sweaty man has once used and done scary things with it!lol

thank you very much for your help...will report back if i need more help choosing:D

Caporegime
You can get some cracking cues on eBay, I know, not the best, but my dads friend is a good snooker player who sells cues and, whilst he won't use one (he has a good handmade craftsman cue) he does sell this on as they are high quality.

I am off to Craftsman Cues on Monday to have a feel around, I want to try a 16.5 cue and a smaller tip. If you want to try out different combo's try that.

That is a low budget though, cues get so much better the more they cost.

But for a beginner, definitely go for a Rileys cue, they are tailored that way.

Caporegime
I don't think the price or brand should come in to the equation at all. It's how the cue feels when striking the ball that's the most important thing. I bought my first cue when I was 13 and it only cost £10. I got used to the weight of the cue when I was growing up and kept it for 7/8 years and got reasonably good. When it broke I bought another cue for £50 and I couldn't and still haven't got used to it. As far as the tip goes, if you're good enough to use all of the different types of spin go for a smaller tip but if not a bigger tip would be better suited to you while you learn the game.

Soldato
OP
cheers for the input guys i probably will try some different cues from a mate of mine.. to see what kinda of weight and tip i like to use. i was talking to my uncle last night on msn and he said that most snooker cues for beginners are all the same so brand doesnt make a difference, is that correct?

cheers

daz

daz

Soldato
Pigeon_Killer said:
I don't think the price or brand should come in to the equation at all. It's how the cue feels when striking the ball that's the most important thing. I bought my first cue when I was 13 and it only cost £10. I got used to the weight of the cue when I was growing up and kept it for 7/8 years and got reasonably good. When it broke I bought another cue for £50 and I couldn't and still haven't got used to it. As far as the tip goes, if you're good enough to use all of the different types of spin go for a smaller tip but if not a bigger tip would be better suited to you while you learn the game.

Definitely, try to go to a shop where you can hold the cue.

Some snooker centres/halls also sell cues and they'll often let you try a cue out before buying... you just want to get one that feels good to you.

My brother uses a really old one-piece. :cool:

Soldato
BCE do some good cues at the budget end of the scale. For more expensive options I've found a couple of Powerglide's that are better than anything I've ever tried before, with one I was able to screw back nearly the length of the table which pleased me no end.

Soldato
OP
elroberto said:
BCE do some good cues at the budget end of the scale. For more expensive options I've found a couple of Powerglide's that are better than anything I've ever tried before, with one I was able to screw back nearly the length of the table which pleased me no end.
i was looking on the internet at some BCE and they were cheap and was wondering if their were good.will try some of those if i have a chance.

btw how much are the low-end but good for beginners Powerglide cue?

cheers

Back
Top Bottom