The Ultimate Heavy Metal band

Man of Honour
Just go out and buy this DVD and chuck everything else away.
The masters teaching everybody a lesson who copied them.

judaspriest.jpg

(Waits for Penski to come and **** them off)

Soldato
What about Iron Maiden?

I was in my local indy record store the other day and saw this and was tempted to buy it, especially as its in DTS. Personally though, i'm waiting for Iron Maiden - Death On The Road, which comes out a week on monday I believe.

Man of Honour
OP
Thats my point - Maiden learnt their craft from Priest.

The second time I saw Maiden was when they supported Priest at Trentham Gardens, Stoke in 1980. Everybody thought that Priest had walked on because they were wearing their clothes. They then proceeded to copy Priest. I knew different because I'd seen them on a Metal For Muthas tour the year before.
Motorhead were also many years later.

Soldato
dmpoole said:
Thats my point - Maiden learnt their craft from Priest.

The second time I saw Maiden was when they supported Priest at Trentham Gardens, Stoke in 1980. Everybody thought that Priest had walked on because they were wearing their clothes. They then proceeded to copy Priest. I knew different because I'd seen them on a Metal For Muthas tour the year before.
Motorhead were also many years later.

Im not sure you're right there. Maiden were formed in 1976 and whilst that is a little after Preist and both bands were part the NWOBHM, they do not sound the same and certainly didn't "learn their craft" from Preist. They may have had a similar look back in the day but that was more to do with the fashion back then rather than one band copying anothers style/look. The only similarities are that both bands are great, British and Heavy Metal

Man of Honour
OP
RoB- said:
Im not sure you're right there. Maiden were formed in 1976 and whilst that is a little after Preist and both bands were part the NWOBHM, they do not sound the same and certainly didn't "learn their craft" from Preist. They may have had a similar look back in the day but that was more to do with the fashion back then rather than one band copying anothers style/look. The only similarities are that both bands are great, British and Heavy Metal

Sorry mate but Priest were NOT part of the NWOBHM.
NWOBHM started around 79.

Iron Maiden did their very first gig on Dec 30th 1978 and made their first album in 1980 where they promoted it on the British Steel tour with Judas Priest.
Judas Priest on the other hand started in 1971, Halford joined them in 73, I saw them play at that time and they made their first album in 74 - way way before Maiden and NWOBHM. Priest had made 5 groundbreaking metal albums before Maiden arrived and had already established the standard for others to follow.

Priests clothes came on the 2nd album Sad Wings Of Destiny and I can't think of any other band who dressed like that until Maiden copied them.

Soldato
So you have answered more in depth than I have time to (at work) but essentially Iron maiden did not copy Priest. Many bands have, but not Maiden.

Whether you like it or not, Priest are often
linked as part of the NWOBHM even if they technically are not, as you said, that came about in the late 70's, so perhaps i shouldn't have said it. Both bands early releases were groundbreaking but still IMO vastly different, both technically and lyrically. Like I said, the only comparisons are both being British, and Heavy Metal.

Priest are great, im not disputing that!

Man of Honour
OP
I don't want to pull rank here Rob but my first rock concert was five years before you were born. This was my music and I lived it. Maidens first proper tour was with Judas Priest and they were obviously chose because of their similarities. You weren't there when 2,000 people were discussing what a rip off they were but still excellent. They went down a storm and I class it alongside the Van Halen touring with Black Sabbath gig.

Actually, I've just thought. Perhaps you don't know how Maiden were dressed on that first tour. Priest have always been famous for leather, studs, whips and chains etc and it was very Spinal Tap before Spinal Tap. Its quite embarassing to be honest. It was odd to see somebody else come on the stage dressed exactly like Priest and D'ianno even held a whip and everybody looked at each other in the hall. It wasn't long before Maiden found their own voice and own clothes.

Who often links Priest with NWOBHM? Perhaps people your age but definitely not my age - not even close. NWOBHM were Saxon, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Diamond Head and a 1000 others. It just goes to show that all the crap were quickly weeded out like it did with punk in 76/77. The great bands went on to be big and the rest died leaving only a legacy of one good track here and there. I saw Diamond Head at least four times and thought they were quite poor and it took Metallica to make you realise what great songs they had.

Soldato
SidewinderINC said:
ive never heard of diamond head :confused: what metallica songs are you referring to.. heh (i'm only an ickle baby at 19, so i only really know the larger of the bands)

On the Garage Inc cd, there are three Diamond Head songs on there, Am I Evil, Helpless and The Prince, although all three were not as good as the originals.

Don't listen to Mr Poole, he doesn't know everything and Diamond Head were a superb band, although I only ever saw them at the Monsters Of Rock.

I'm not convinced that Maiden copied Priest myself, but the DVD is well worth getting.

Soldato
I do like both Priest and Maiden. I cant agree that they are the same though. Musically they are very different imo. Priest is all out metal while Maiden tries to do it with a bit of melody. I think you need to be into both bands seriously to appreciate the difference.

As for the copying, come on all bands do that.

Soldato
dmpoole said:
I don't want to pull rank here Rob but my first rock concert was five years before you were born.....

I know you're a bit older than me and ok you were around to witness Priest and Maiden in the early years but I have seen clips of their early performances (Maiden Early Days DVD), and while they dressed in a similar way to Priest I don't think they ever tried to copy. They may have been an influence but that's about as far as it goes. As for their voice, Maiden have never sounded anything like Priest, probably one of the reasons both bands are still going to this day. Both great in their own way.

If you have a look at this it's easy to see why people label Priest as part of the NWOBHM. I'm not saying it's right though.

Man of Honour
OP
RoB- said:
If you have a look at this it's easy to see why people label Priest as part of the NWOBHM. I'm not saying it's right though.

It actually says -

such as Motörhead, Judas Priest and AC/DC who were not strictly part of the NWOBHM movement.

Both Motorhead and AC/DC actually had more punks at their first concerts than rockers. Nobody really knew how to label either band at the time because Motorhead were more like punk and AC/DC with Angus's antics were originally labelled new wave and even a 'poor mans Status Quo' at the time. Of course they both found their correct genre and the rest is history.
The first time I saw Motorhead there were loads of Teddy Boys there too :eek:

Back
Top Bottom