Strange RAM problem (Please Help!)

Soldato
Hi guys,

I have 2 x 1GB sticks of Crucial Ballistix 'Tracer' DDR500.

My motherboard is an MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum (non-sli).

Up until recently I was experiencing BSOD's on a regular basis, system reboots, freezes etc you name it!
Memtest reported 0 errors.

After exhausting every possibility, I somehow found the following;

Using DIMM socket 1 (Green socket), causes the comp to crash/reboot etc.

Using DIMM socket 2 (Purple socket), has no problems.

Using DIMM socket 3 (Green socket) does not work properly

Using DIMM socket 4 (Purple socket) works, but throws a couple of problems here and there.

So the only way I get a really stable system is by using 1 stick of 1GB in DIMM2.

Using sockets 2+3 = Does not work properly (reports as DDR333)
Using sockets 2+4 = Works, but strange errors every so often.

Strange, because MSI say to use the green sockets first! :rolleyes:

Is this the motherboard? Its using the latest BIOS, should I just sell the memory and buy another type? Im running it at auto (which when I used to run with socket 1+2 it was 8-3-3-3, so nothing hardcore!)

It's odd I received no errors in memtest, yet the comp would be seriously unstable...?

The memory is not a matched pair I dont think.

Soldato
It could be one of three things from your description:
1) The unmatched pair cannot operate together in DC.
2) Your memory controller is too weak to handle 1GB sticks in dual channel (if both are individually ok).
3) Faulty mobo.

Associate
SeanyK said:
Strange, because MSI say to use the green sockets first! :rolleyes:

That "s" on the end of "sockets" should not be there. It caught us all out with the release of the K8N Neo 2 (I can't believe it's STILL in the manual). MSI organise their memory colours differently to all other major manufacturers. When using 2 strips of ram, you should use the 2 sockets closest to the cpu, but you mention that you tried that later in the post?

Soldato
OP
If I use the first socket closest to the CPU, thats when the computer will reboot, BSOD etc so I cannot use ANY ram in that socket.

So I can only use the 2nd closest slot to the CPU, but that is a purple socket, not green.

Associate
Have you tried upping the memory voltage in the bios? My Neo2 is unstable without a DDR Booster (to 3.1V with both 2x256MB Ballistix and my current set up).

Other than that, it's a "scribble down the STOP numbers and check out MS's KB" job.

Soldato
OP
I didnt try upping the voltage, im not gonna go through that to get them working to be honest, id rather change the motherboard, I just wanted it all standard lol,

MSI have really gone down in my opinion lately, my friend changed his for a DFI, and another friend for an Asus, both those boards are so much better.

Associate
ColinR said:
MSI organise their memory colours differently to all other major manufacturers. When using 2 strips of ram, you should use the 2 sockets closest to the cpu, but you mention that you tried that later in the post?

Thats i right i have this mobo "MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum" and i have them setup

in that order and its working fine for me sorry

So i would say u have a faulty mobo sorry

Soldato
OP
Well I have the one stick working fine for the last week in slot 2.

I changed the stick, started using my 2nd Ballistix stick in slot 2 to try it, and guess what, IE crashes out ...Hmm! So it seems a faulty memory stick too.

I used memtest it passed 1 full test after 30 mins so I thought its ok, I will have to use it for a few hours?

Back
Top Bottom