Bittorrent using port 21?

Associate
Hi. i've just switched from pipex 1mb to talktlak 2mb.

when i got talktalk, all i changed on my computer was the username and password in the router's options for the broadband.

thing is, no matter how many peers/seeds there are, abc tends to stick at around 50kbps in total. i know my interent connection is faster becuase when i download something from internet explorere i see speeds higher than 200kbps.

i've searched google and it seems talktalk are somehow limiting the p2p sharing.

i've been told that if i use port 21 or 80, (standard ftp and http ports), they don't limit them so i can download as much as i want. when i set abc to use port 21, the speed never goes higher than 20kbps. i don't have any ftp servers and am not downloading anything from ftp.

is there any way to "tunnel" a connection through port 80 and then let a torrent client use it? so to the ISP it's just like i'm downloading something from internet explorer.

Associate
OP
my dlink router is definately not the problem becuase i used Demilitarized Zone which doesn't block anything (jsut to see if it was the router's fault).

from talktalk's website:

What are P2P ports?
Peer-to-Peer (P2P) ports are used by file sharing system such as KaZaA, Morpheus, Grokster, Gnutella, LimeWire, WinMX, or eDonkey2000 to download large amounts of data.
A small number of heavy P2P users can utilise a significant proportion of available bandwidth. This can result in a significantly degraded quality of service for other users.

Does TalkTalk allow P2P downloading?
TalkTalk allows the use of P2P software, however, it does not condone its use where subsequent file sharing breaches applicable local laws and regulations. This includes, but is not limited to, those principles of law which protect against compromise of copyrights, trade secrets, proprietary information and other intellectual property rights, libel or defamation of character, invasion of privacy, tortuous interference.

Does TalkTalk block P2P ports?
No, TalkTalk broadband does not block ports used by P2P file sharing systems.

Does TalkTalk broadband prioritise traffic generated by P2P software?
TalkTalk broadband may use network controls to prioritise traffic generated by web browsing, email and music downloads over that generated by with P2P file sharing systems where it is found that it affects the bandwidth of other broadband users.

Why does TalkTalk put network controls in place with P2P networks?
TalkTalk owes a duty to all our Broadband users to both preserve network integrity and avoid network degradation. If, in our reasonable opinion, we believe P2P usage has, or may adversely affect, such network integrity or may cause network degradation for the majority of users we may control the transmission speed of selected ports.

Does TalkTalk use network controls to affect gaming or other legitimate download services?
The techniques used to control the network should not affect legitimate download, chat, instant messaging or gaming services.

Apparently they don't. What i don't understand is how they know it's p2p traffic as apposed to anything else. surely there is a tunnelling way round this to make all the data seem just like webbrowsing?

Last edited:
Caporegime
rudeboymcc said:
Apparently they don't.

Blocking, and "prioritising" other traffic (read: slowing P2P down to a crawl) are two different things.

What i don't understand is how they know it's p2p traffic as apposed to anything else.

Packet inspection.

surely there is a tunnelling way round this to make all the data seem just like webbrowsing?

Yup, but you need a machine at the other end to terminate the tunnel on.

Back
Top Bottom