Best current ADSL Modem/Router?

Associate
Have read the sticky about routers etc, but see it appears to be a bit out of date with hardware coming out often enough.

What im wanting to know is the best ADSL Modem/Router. Will be using it to connect up 2 PC's, so am also asking what else I would need to purchase for them both to use my 2mb connection :confused:

Soldato
Netgear DG834GT

never had any problem with it, i forgot when the last time i rebooted the router. wireless always stable for me.

Man of Honour
danceMB said:
Will be using it to connect up 2 PC's, so am also asking what else I would need to purchase for them both to use my 2mb connection :confused:

Each PC will need a network card assuming the motherboard doesn't have onboard LAN. You will then need two pieces of cat5/100baseT network cable to connect to the router.

The other alternative is to get a pair of wireless network cards and connect via that. All depends on how easy it is to connect them up via cable or not. Given the choice I prefer a wired connection as this is guarenteed to work all the time (one of the wireless clients in our house has problems with dropped connection sometimes) and also has lower latency. Obviously if your PCs are in different rooms for asthetic reasons you may prefer wireless.

Associate
OP
Well I would prefer to have a wires connection seeing as they are sitting besides eachother, also it sounds a lot easier than going through a lot of mess for wireless.

What network cards will I need? There seems to be quite a few you can buy of these as well

Associate
OP
After having a brief visit on the products page, would people recommend I buy:

Netgear GA311 Gigabit Network Card
BT Voyager 240 ADSL Router

They seem to be upto the job, and sound simple enough which is never a bad thing

Soldato
I use a cheapo 20 quid value brand router and it works well, got a pc and a dlink WAP connected to it, its great. I know someone who has an expensive zyxel router which cost 3 times what mine did and it does nothing different, I dont see where the extra money goes tbh, i'd say its 3 times uglier than mine too tbh so it doesnt go on looks.

Back
Top Bottom