Anyone got an 02 XDA?

Associate
I've just got an 02 XDA mini S and was wondering out of the people who have one or other similar series phone using Windows mobile 5 on 02 if they have come across that annoying user interface they install on it? It basically puts a load of buttons along the left hand side of the main today screen which do pretty much the same things as in the start menu and also along the bottom puts some tabs for 'custom', 'settings' and 'help' screens.

I was wondering if anyone out there has removed this and how? does the phone function just as well with out this or is it vital in performing certain tasks?

Just wondering as i don't want to mess up my new phone....

Thanks

Associate
I believe it can be done but it is not just a case of deleting O2 active in remove programs.

I tried to get rid of it on a XdaII and doing that created errors.

If you are determened to get shot of it have a seach here

Good luck

Man of Honour
I have an O2 XDA Mini S. The O2 salesman advised me not to install the Active software. So when I set it up I chose "basic install" and I can't see any of the settings you mention. So you could try a hard reset and then choosing basic install too.

Associate
OP
Thats an interesting suggestion, what does a 'hard reset' do? i dont want to mess up anything.

I was gonna just trying removing it in the 'remove progams' thing but after what hyster has told me that sounds like a bad idea.

Man of Honour
I've not done a hard reset yet (only had it a few days). The forum in hysters link above should explain how to do it. Basically it wipes the memory and then copies back the original firmware... so resets it back to factory defaults. Back up any contacts or data fisrt because it just wipes the whole device.

Actually maybe I do have the same icons as you... do you mean the "owner", "messages", "tasks", etc, etc icons? I don't have the custom tabs at all though.

Associate
OP
Here are the icons i mean circled in red.... (i know this is not the same phone but it show kinda what they look like)

You cant see on this pic but also along the bottom on mine there are 4 tabs, 'home', 'custom', 'settings' and 'help'.

Associate
It's the o2 Active user interface. On my Exec, I got rid of it by deleting the Active shortcut in the Startup folder, then soft resetted the device :) I think you can change it using the Install Type app in Programs too (don't know if your Mini will have this)

Soldato
I've been running Windows Mobile 2003 2nd edition on my XDAII for the last year and found it a lot more stable than the version that can as standard (also the added bonus that all that O2 active stuff doesn't get installed).

Caporegime
You can also perform a hard reset and choose corporate mode, and tell it not to install the o2 active bar, by entering 0506. Much more effective than removing it from startup.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Has anyone bothered investing in one of these screen protectors for their xda? Im wondering what they are like and if they are worth the £9+ compaines seem to charge for them? They are just bits of plastic that sit on top of the screen.

Soldato
Just got an xda exec today and it doesn't have that stuff installed, I didn't choose the corporate option either so maybe they have changed it. There is an active icon in programs though but I have avoided it for the moment :)

Soldato
tom99 said:
Has anyone bothered investing in one of these screen protectors for their xda? Im wondering what they are like and if they are worth the £9+ compaines seem to charge for them? They are just bits of plastic that sit on top of the screen.
Well worth it as the screens scratch easy, but I don't remember paying that much. Think I paid about £4 in the o2 shop for a pack of five, but that was a year ago.

Soldato
Scottland said:
Sorry to drag the thread off topic, but how do you find the performance of the XDA Mini, bearning in mind it only has a 200MHz processor?

I was prett worried when I ordered mine after hearing how slow it supposedly was. When I got it however it really isn't slow at all once you stick it in Corporate mode.

Associate
OP
No its not slow... runs everything fine once you remove the o2 rubbish...

Movie play back etc is fine, as a device it runs everything fine.

Back
Top Bottom