Opinions - BMW E36 325 TDS

Associate
Right i'm looking at getting a different car. I really like the look of the e36. I am looking at 325 TDS did consider but I might be having to travel further to work so the diesel is ideal.

Just after common problems, opinions and the like on them.

TIA

Ste

EDIT - A lot that i've seen are automatics. I really hate automatic cars with a passion as it takes the fun out of driving for me. Is the a lot of difference between the manual and automatic?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've driven a 325TD automatic, which is the lower power version with no intercooler and found it was very lethargic and boring to drive. It was also not particularly economical - did about 35mpg at best.

Soldato
Duff old diesel technology, I wouldn't bother. Good enough in France or Spain where diesel is 60p/L but it won't be particularly economical, 35mpg probably, and you can get that with a lot of petrol cars.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your views. OK lets go a different way. I've got about £2.5k to spend. Requirements are :

3 Series size. Would prefer a saloon but an estate is possible.
Economical. Currently I drive a ZX 2.0 with quite a few mods and it returns about 25mpg on average. I drive 60-70 miles a day on the motorway and 10 miles down country lanes.

I really like the e36 so what are your views on the 325i petrol version? Might treat myself for a weekend car.

Associate
OP
The fun of driving to me is being able to select a gear and know what gear i'm in. I like to be in control. With an auto I feel I don't have that.

406 - I've had french cars and am now fed up with them. Want a change and was looking at different makes.

Caporegime
[Darkend]Viper said:
The fun of driving to me is being able to select a gear and know what gear i'm in. I like to be in control. With an auto I feel I don't have that.

406 - I've had french cars and am now fed up with them. Want a change and was looking at different makes.

learn to drive one and you can control what gear your in ;]

Associate
IIRC at the time it was released many magazines said that the 325 tds was quite a diesel guzzler and wasn't really worth it for saving fuel, though it was a very smooth and refined diesel for its time.

Associate
Confession time.

I, yes I, had a dreadful diesel once - I had a 325TDS when they were new. "Energy" is correct, it was quite thirsty for a diesel, returning maybe 30odd MPG on a nice long run. Average around 25 IIRC urban. Not much better than the M3s I've had since. However, it was reliable (it was a new '94 car) for the two years I owned it.. until I was cured and traded it for a nice new 328i.

Caporegime
mejinks said:
2.5k? For even a High mileage E36 thats a bit hopeful!

Hopeful of what? he could probably get a '92 318i and a later 325i for that money!

Get an e36 325i or, a 328i. Forget about the tds.

The 320i is pointless, get a 318iS instead of one of those.

The 318i would be a better buy (and cheaper on fuel) than the 325tds. Take it from me, I used to own a 318i and tried the tds prior to buying it, the tds was very refined, but equally slow, not to mention very nose heavy, something the 318i / iS isn't.

£2.5k will get you a real beauty of an e36 whichever one you buy.

What would you describe as "miles better" than a 325/28i then Fox? - Considering this chap likes e36's, I don't know what would suit him better.

Remember this, buy a one owner car with FULL BMW DEALER SERVICE HISTORY avoid anything that looks like its been owned by a reject from "The Fast & the Furious" and you won't go far wrong.

Back
Top Bottom