• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone got a 2006 CPU yet?

Soldato
Got my X2 3800+ yesterday, whipped the IHS off the same day( :o ) and noticed the stepping indicated being made this year. Might be some uber silicon or something:p So, anyone else using 2006 silicon?

I'll let you know how overclocking goes.

x2.jpg

x22.jpg

Associate
speaking of silicon, what's the actual differance in terms of electrical properties, material, production/purification/doping, performance between standard Athlon 64 silicon and Opteron Silicon, because somone mentioned in passing that the opteron silicon is better for some reason, and i'm wondering why/how?

Don
There's no specific difference, but it's supposed that S939 Opteron cores are speed binned for running at lower voltage. They're otherwise identical cores, same production line and same core design. Just that run produced better performing chips.

Jokester

Soldato
OP
Jokester said:
Tradionally CPUs made over Xmas/New Year are poor clockers because QA goes down due to the festivities :p

Jokester

bah:p

Well i'll be cranking it up later, not afraid of volts so should be interesting:cool: I've seen these 3800's hit 3GHz but some won't even do 2.5GHz.

Chris19 said:
maybe thats just the silicon for x2 chips?

I've seen 2005 week 30 X2's. Not sure if they were made any earlier, its the first 2006 CPU I've seen or heard of.

Soldato
OP
Right, 0601 silicon is nothing to shout about I'm afraid. 2.6GHz 10hr stable (see above) but core0 fails Prime at 2.7GHz, core1 carries on but thats not much use.

I'll probably try 1.65v+ just to see what happens but for now, 2.6GHz it is, could have been better, could have been a lot worse. Still a 600MHz overclock, just need to fix this stutter now, I've seen the XP32 fix but no XP64 fix?!?

Back
Top Bottom