i need feedback for my digital filming web page

exs

exs

Associate
dislike it, very much.

colours don't flow, backgrounds not subtle, buttons too large (dont look good)
(c) copyright etc, too large ( too much emphasis ), 'navigation button' way too obviouse anyway,

Associate
OP
exs said:
dislike it, very much.

colours don't flow, backgrounds not subtle, buttons too large (dont look good)
(c) copyright etc, too large ( too much emphasis ), 'navigation button' way too obviouse anyway,

okay, well i'm not very good at making templates. i done that one by following tutorials

if you want me to design one for you, i will.
well it would be very nice of you if you could do one, but I'm afraid there would be no way I'd be able to pay for it.

Soldato
I dont think it's that bad, although the links are too big, and i dont think you need the navigation text, althugh if you feel the need for it, then it should probabaly be the same size as the links.

Also i think you should move the title of the site to the top, rather than above the links section (or remove it altogether)

Also i'd change the font in the main section of the site aswell.. Other than that i think its not too bad :)

exs

exs

Associate
Martin_Man said:
okay, well i'm not very good at making templates. i done that one by following tutorials

well it would be very nice of you if you could do one, but I'm afraid there would be no way I'd be able to pay for it.

no paying mate, i'm working on it now :)

I'll post it here as soon as i finish it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it’s too bad. You've got the base template there it just needs tweaking.

As others have said definitely make the footer smaller along with the side navigation bars. I think the main content background would look better if you just used one of the colours.

Add a little padding to your main content text and a nicer font and you'd be on your way.

exs

exs

Associate
Boz said:
now convert that to a nice css layout, instead of using old fashioned tables ;)

yeah, if anyone wants to code the css for me that will be cool :)

Do you know if dreamweaver can make css web pages?.. i've always thought of it being orientated at old crappy tables.

If it does support it, or if Golive does, then i'll make it myself for him.

Beansprout said:
I'm on 1280x1024 and the header image is taking up half my vertical screen width. Which is a joke. There's absolutely no point in making the content area so teeny - though the colours are nice and mostly I think it's quite appealing :)

You don't understand.. the bottom half is meant to be extented to the desired size, if Martin wants a larger content size then i shall provide the same template but larger in height.

Last edited:

Boz

Boz

Associate
exs said:
Do you know if dreamweaver can make css web pages?.. i've always thought of it being orientated at old crappy tables.

If it does support it, or if Golive does, then i'll make it myself for him.

dreamweaver supports css, you just gotta handwrite all of it. i use it purely due to the code complete functions, saves hassle and means i dont have to remember what properties all the tags have.

exs

exs

Associate
Boz said:
dreamweaver supports css, you just gotta handwrite all of it. i use it purely due to the code complete functions, saves hassle and means i dont have to remember what properties all the tags have.
hmm, i might have a stab at it, i see the impliations of css, and i genrally do enjoy using it, so i'll have a stab at it

blade007 said:
@exs

nice design. I like it.

like the graphics v.much

Thanks!

Man of Honour
exs said:
You don't understand.. the bottom half is meant to be extented to the desired size, if Martin wants a larger content size then i shall provide the same template but larger in height.
No, you don't understand ;)

The content doesn't even begin until halfway down my 1280x1024 screen. Which is a lot of wasted space. There's no need to scroll for a few paragraphs of text.

exs

exs

Associate
Beansprout said:
No, you don't understand ;)

The content doesn't even begin until halfway down my 1280x1024 screen. Which is a lot of wasted space. There's no need to scroll for a few paragraphs of text.

No, You don't understand! lol

I happen to be on 1280x1024, and i also made sure that 800x600 was accounted for.

If you notice, even at 800x600. you first enter the page, the whole top filles the screen, so you only are able to view the top image, and the summary.

This was INTENDED, because once the user scrolls down, he no longer views the top banner because that is the way i like it, and it's how it is going to be.

It's a way of browsing the site, if the user wants to view actual content, then he/she will then scroll down.. and once scrolled down he/she will want to consentrate on just viewing the content, since they have already seen the banner and can judge the websites looks ( top part ).

in other words, if the user wants to see some pretty stuff, they can. They just scroll up.

if the user wants to view content, they scroll down. Simple as that.

oh and to directly comment on your reply,

it is not actually half way down on 1280x1024, most people usually browse with their chosen browser maximized, in which case it comes slightly less than half way.

Also, there will be more than a few lines of text after the guy starts to put some content in, HENCE, me mentioning that the site will be stretched up if Martin wishes it to be such and such height ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
All hail the holy mantra "Content is King!" :cool:.

A large header image is fine for a website advertising a product, or introductory page e.g flickr's front-page. But for a site that is based around its content - especially tutorials, reviews and articles that are likely to be multi-page - making the user scroll down on every page invocation will work against it. The content should never have to fit into the design - the design should always match the content (and requirements of). I like the design, but I don't think it's the most appropriate for that type of site either.

exs said:
[...] because that is the way i like it, and it's how it is going to be.
:confused: This isn't your site, nor should you be designing based on what you like - you should be aiming to match content and suit the site's intended audience. What works for one site, might not work for another. Nonetheless, I expect the design will go through several reworkings, and the design decisions are up to Martin_Man in the end :).

Back
Top Bottom