high mileage cars..

Soldato
Just bought a R reg 306 1.9 turbo diesel at auction due to changing job and having to give my company car back. Annoying all this only 4 months after moving house when I'm skint! only paid a grand for it at auction. got the last 5 MOTs and service history shows it's been serviced religiously every 6000 miles.. but it's done 95,000! The car is in mint condition inside and out but I am a little worried about the mileage as I've only ever owned a car with less than 50k on the clock :p

How worried should I be? think it'll get me to november when I can trade up? :) place your bets now lol.

Also is a service and asking the mechanics to give it a once over a good idea? I intend to next week!

Pictures taken with phone (sorry about quality) but it's actually in better nick than my 3 year old clio I'm handing back

Front

Side

rear

Man of Honour
It's an 8 year old car, 95k is about average mileage really, don't worry about it.

Engine is brilliant, you'll just have to put up with bits of interior trim rattling and/or falling off :p

Soldato
I had a 1.9TD that had covered 220k and there was nothing wrong with it - it ran smoothly and didn't use any oil. If you stick to 6k oil changes, coolant change every 2 years using genuine antifreeze and do the cambelt every 70k they will run forever. They are very easy to work on for basic service bits like oil changes as the filter is right on the front of the block, air/fuel filters are right in front of you - its the easiest engine I've had for DIY.

Trouble with the 306 is the rest of it will have fallen to bits long before the engine gives in.

Soldato
You said the car has been serviced religiously.

I therefore assume the engine is in top condition and will show little signs of any wear and tear at all.

Soldato
Thats a good price for such a car. 95k is not a lot for an 8 year old car as already mentioned. I have one almost identical and its on 89k which I dont feel is high at all.

And those XUTD engines go on forever. It sould probably do the same miles again, provided its serviced properly. :)

Associate
As said, nothing to worry about engine wise. You'll find other parts of the car will deteriorate way before that engine. 95k should be fine for any engine which is looked after reasonably well, let alone one that many taxi drivers trust day in day out :)

Associate
the thing to check is not the engine, it is the brakes, 306 diesels are hard on brakes.
As for milage you have no worries my ex 306 had 150k when I sold it on.

Soldato
A diesel engine will last a lot longer than petrol in theory due to the fact that diesel is classed an oil & therefore is a lubricant whereas as petrol is the opposite & a solvent which degenerates oil if it comes into contact in the piston bores as is common on high milleage engines,

Soldato
^^ What Usher said. Half the milage if your going to compare it to petrol engines. The age is more of a problem and 8 years isnt anything for most modern cars. You may have to be replacing suspension bushes and the sort and maybe some rust ? Cant see anything much being wrong with it, you got a bargain for sure. 1k is peanuts for service history like that

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys, I'm pretty happy with is so far, not taxed so I haven't been able to run about in it.. much :)

Chucking it into the garage next week for a service and some checks on brakes, clutch etc just to put my mind at ease. I don't mind spending some cash on it to be honest as it came well under my 2.5grand budget anyway!

Associate
geiger said:
^^ What Usher said. Half the milage if your going to compare it to petrol engines. The age is more of a problem and 8 years isnt anything for most modern cars. You may have to be replacing suspension bushes and the sort and maybe some rust ? Cant see anything much being wrong with it, you got a bargain for sure. 1k is peanuts for service history like that

Bought my 306 (petrol 1.6) at 85k, now on 116k. Engine doesn't s ound quite as healthy as when i first bought it, but still runs strong even though my service schedules have been nowhere near religious.

Do prepare yourself for some small electrical gremlins and/or bits of interior trim falling off.

Back
Top Bottom