MCW55 tubing problem

Soldato
Hi all
Got a swiftech apex kit (storm waterblock) and some 7/16 masterkleer tubing. Also just bought a Swiftech MCW55 GPU block from OcUK. Problem is, the tubing is too big for it, just wont go in. Is it because the mcw55 is meant for thinner tubing (3/8"?) or do they make it with different sized holes or what? I'm completely new to this btw
Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
You need some 1/2" barbs, which AFAIK are an optional fitting.

MCW55-0500BARB.gif

Soldato
OP
Theyre 'quick release' or something like that - you push the tubing in and little 'teeth' hold it in, like an outdoor hose adaptor kinda thing.

Tim - Thanks for the reply. That's annoying. So what size are they meant for? I know you cant list competitors, but where would I find such accesories?

Soldato
OP
I think those little things are just to go inside the tubing. Two came with the block and theyre really small, too small for 7/16 tubing. Bit of a mystery really. Anyone actually using this block?

Soldato
OP
Ok, what I need are called "Quick Connects", but I cant find any in the UK. This australian site (its not a competitor really) is the only site I've seen em on, but I'm not getting them sent all the way from Australia. Is anyone actually using this waterblock who can give me some advice? Or shall I just send it back and get something else?

Linkage 2nd post explains situation

Soldato
OP
This is turning into a bit of a monolgue isnt it?

I've finally found a few sources for these "quick connect" adaptors. Final question is, what is the diameter of the collets? (the grey things) I.e. do I need 3/8" stem to 1/2" barb OR 1/2" stem to 1/2" barb, or something else? (probably wont get a reply, im thinking it'll probably be the 3/8 to 1/2 adaptors)

Soldato
OP
Update: Ordered 2x 1/2" stem to 1/2" barb adaptors from a uk "competitor"

Just realised that looking at Tim's photo makes it completely obvious what quick connects to buy. The barb is clearly the same diameter as the stem. That makes it 1/2 to 1/2. Oh well. They should be here on tue/wed.

Last edited:
Associate
joeyjojo said:
Update: Ordered 2x 1/2" stem to 1/2" barb adaptors from a uk "competitor"

Just realised that looking at Tim's photo makes it completely obvious what quick connects to buy. The barb is clearly the same diameter as the stem. That makes it 1/2 to 1/2. Oh well. They should be here on tue/wed.

They will fit , i had to do the same with the 1/2" to 1/2" barbs and the 7/16 pipe that comes with the kit pushes over , i warmed mine up in a bowl of boiling water though

Soldato
OP
andyr said:
They will fit , i had to do the same with the 1/2" to 1/2" barbs and the 7/16 pipe that comes with the kit pushes over , i warmed mine up in a bowl of boiling water though
Thanks mate. They should be here on tuesday. How's the block performing btw? What's it cooling?

Associate
joeyjojo said:
Thanks mate. They should be here on tuesday. How's the block performing btw? What's it cooling?

it is really good at 35 degrees and it never seams to go that much higher , i have clocked up to 695 core speed and it still stays cool , so i am well impressed , i fitted the zalman heat sinks to the ram and that is happy aswell

Soldato
OP
andyr said:
it is really good at 35 degrees and it never seams to go that much higher , i have clocked up to 695 core speed and it still stays cool , so i am well impressed , i fitted the zalman heat sinks to the ram and that is happy aswell
:eek: low temps! Nice!

Soldato
Good to know,i'm sticking one on my GT this week,but will be using the standard swiftech 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tubing,quick connect method.Hoping for some decent results.Mainly looking for silence as well ;)

Rob

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Rob43 said:
Good to know,i'm sticking one on my GT this week,but will be using the standard swiftech 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tubing,quick connect method.Hoping for some decent results.Mainly looking for silence as well ;)

Rob
Sure you're not going to have the same problem i did? 1/2" OD is too wide for MCW55 quick connects, right?
Edit: oh the adaptor things, right. Post if it works out

Soldato
Got my block fitted today,at last :D Went on with no probs(quick connect fittings) My 7800GT now idles @ 31C & it's not had as much of an effect as i thought it would on the cpu temps 30C Idle & 40C Load on my Opty clcoked At 3Ghz

Well chuffed with the block,so far :cool:

Rob

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom