Networking with WinXP Pro and Home - a real nightmare!

Man of Honour
does anyone have any experience with networking WinXP PRo and Home? I've got a desktop on Pro and a laptop on Home here. The file sharing is so intermitent it's stupid, and ive no idea what the problem might be!

both connect to a router and can get on the net fine. I've tried:

- uninstalling firewalls and AV programs
- disabling WinXP firewall, inc turning the whole service off
- static IP's and dynamic IP's
- running the network setup wizard so many times!
- both are on the same workgroup

it seems that after a while of being turned on, i go into a few places like maybe services.msc, or the p configuration for the LAN cards and without changing anything, it suddenly starts working. Until i reboot....

are there any bugs with XP Pro and Home working together? this is all i can think of :(

Soldato
so your going through network places then the workgroup to access each of the machines files?
have you tried just doing //IP address?

Soldato
I can swear you can't network XP Home Edition? Something about Profession version you can because it has the added features but on home it hasn't got networking?

Associate
pro-home-networking

Have pro and home networked with no trouble, but when first tried had the same as you, have a router on main machine with pro on coupled to two others with home on, and till changed the LAN driver on main machine would it work.
So could be the same on yours

Associate
not a pro and home issue as I have both running fine

does it work once you have explorer opened mapped to the other PC?

Man of Honour
OP
you can definitely network with Home, as i say, sometimes it just randomly starts working until i reboot! dont THINK it would be the drivers since both can always see the router ok. and yes, im trying to get to the PC by just doing "\\pcname" and also "\\ip_of_PC" but neither work?!

thanks for help so far guys :)

Associate
home and pro are easy to network just make sure the computer user names are the same and the network workgroup are all the same

its easy once youve done it once but the first time is always the worst

other than that there is nothing i can think of besides upgrading to pro ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
computer techie said:
home and pro are easy to network just make sure the computer user names are the same
Not going to make much difference as simple filesharing uses the guest account. Would be requisite for classic file sharing though.

Man of Honour
OP
thanks all for the input. This isn't the first time i've networked two machines, but it is the first time i've used Home instead of Pro XP

What exactly is the problem?

Can you ping each other?
Can you see each other in My Network Places?
Have you DISABLED simple file sharing?

they have no connection to one another. No they cant ping each other, no they cant see each other in network places and in fact when you click on "view workgroup computers" they cant see anything, it just times out saying the workgroup is not available.

i havent tried disabling simple file sharing....where can i do that?

the weird (and annoying) thing is that after a while of going through and checking i have everything set up right, but not actually changing anything, it might suddenly start working, they can then ping each other and get to each other by \\pcname

im pretty sure the desktop on XP Pro is to blame since the laptop worked fine on my network without any issues. since ive taken it home to my folks it wont work, only variables are their desktop which has 4 users logon (if that matters) and the router. but both can see the router and get on the net fine :confused:

Associate
First things first mate...

Type of router you got?
Can you see 'attached devices' via the router CP?

Make sure they are both in the same IP range... 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254
Make sure they are both sitting in the same subnet, 255.255.255.0
You need the gateway to be whatever your router IP is.
and lastly, in the same workgroup. (Home edition wont work using domains.)

Also, make sure you have the same protocols installed. In this case all you want TCP/IP, QoS, File Sharing and Tranfer and Client for Microsoft networks installed on both machines.

About simple file sharing...
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/ht/winxpsfs.htm
:)

Also, if you get any more problems... do a
Run -> ipconfig /all
and post the results mate.

Hope this helps.

Man of Honour
OP
hi mate. i cant be in front of the machine for a couple of days but to cover your points:

- Dlink 624+ cable router iirc. Both the PC and laptop can see the router no problems and both are online
- yes, the laptop is connected wirelessly and shows in connected WLAN clients. the PC is connected with cat5 and shows in the connected section as well
- main PC is 192.168.0.103 and laptop is 192.168.0.106
- same subnet of 255.255.255.0
- gateway is set as 192.168.0.1 (router's IP) on both and like i say, both get online fine
- ive run the network setup wizard loads of times and both are def on same workgroup
- same protocols installed on both

the weird thing is that sometimes it will just start working though, for no apparent reason. im sure it is the PC to blame (running XP Pro) since the laptop worked fine at my flat on my LAN without any problems. the PC at home ahas 4 user logons if that matters

Back
Top Bottom