PC PSU to power car entertainment system

Associate
yes, i have many spare power supplys mostly recycled from the old systems we throw out at work and because they have a 12V 150W output i thought i might as well combime them with the spare 12V JVC headunit, 12V in-car DVD palyer and 12V 7" widescreen TFT screen i have also just lying arround... to make some sort of entertainment system for the guarage or caravan that ran off the mains

problems is how can you turn it on, because when you press the on switch your computer, that connects to a mother board which then switches on the power supply, how do you switch it on without a motherboard atached to it? can it be done? :confused:

Associate
OP
it'd be great if it was just that symple, the i could just fit a switch direct to it and that'd be it. i've tried adapting a REALLY old pre ATX PSU... from an ancient IBM ciryx steup but i've done something really wrong and it's just not giving out the correct voltage. but i've had to use about 20 chopblocks to get it working as it is anyway

Associate
OP
Phil99 said:

thank you Phil99! so symple but if you dont know... you dont know :p

Update:
ok' i've tried the mod and it works... in the sence that the PSU comes on... but for some reason when i put power to the Car bits and peices... they're not doing anything, i dont think i'm getting the full voltage somehow, and its the same with both PSUs i've canibalised now, i think there must be a problem with the mains supply becasue a cant have the same problem on 2 very different power supplys, unless it's because they're just cold?

do PSUs have an operations range as it's below 5 degrees out there in my workshop and i've had computers not boot when they've been REALLY cold before now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ste_bla said:
are you sure the psu will give out enough amps to run that stuff?

i have no idea, my multimeter's up the duff so icant test it... but it's clearly not even powerfull enough to run single case fan at full power at the moment, i'm going to try leaving the PSU by the radiator just incase it is the low temps in my workshop that are sending it screwy.

Soldato
I think I heard some PSUs dont like having a really small load attached, so that might be the issue.

You really need the multimeter to test it, or an old PC to test the PSU on if you don't know if it's in fully working condition.

Associate
OP
Jeff Crawly said:
You are using the Yellow and black power connections right??

ie NOT the RED and black!!

P.S) The Temp in your garage has nothing to do with it btw.

well actualy.. now that you mention it no.... o_o'
i thought the yellow was the 5V lead and the red the 12V o.O?

edit: ok it's not that either, it wont work anyway round <_< but yeah.. i did have it pluged in to the red and black... it's an easy mistake to make!
it'd going with me to work tomorrow to get analysed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom