Integrating Podcasts.

Soldato
Hi.
Ive been listening to 'The Ricky Gervais Show' a lot lately. But on iTunes, they only have 5-8. The ones off iTunes have 'pod listings' so you can skip to certain parts, images embedded in them, and of course, are seen as podcasts by iTunes.
Now, my mates given me 1-4 in MP3 format, which is fine, but they're not recognised as part of other podcasts.
Is there a way to do that?

Thanks.

Soldato
Hmm doubt it since podcasts are what you download via iTunes to your PC. Adding something from your PC to the iTunes folder would be in essence an offline podcast library.

How big are the first four Ricky Gervais podcasts? Been meaning to get the first ones that aren't on iTunes anymore. Do you know of any sites that host them? Legal sites I mean.

Soldato
OP
MarcLister said:
Hmm doubt it since podcasts are what you download via iTunes to your PC. Adding something from your PC to the iTunes folder would be in essence an offline podcast library.
Thats the thing though. The only thing thats different is the file format. The podcasts off iTunes are in *.m4v format, where as the first ones ive got are in MP3.

How big are the first four Ricky Gervais podcasts? Been meaning to get the first ones that aren't on iTunes anymore. Do you know of any sites that host them? Legal sites I mean.
They're about 50Mb each.

Soldato
OP
I know.
But im wondering if theres a way to get iTunes to recognise these files as podcasts.
As i doubt converting them to *.m4a would cause iTunes to recognise them as podcasts.

Caporegime
AFAIK, unless they came from an iTunes feed (ie from within the iTMS), it won't (as far as them appearing under the podcasts tab etc goes at least).

The extra features (bookmarks etc) come from the enhanced podcast file, so converting them (with the additional content included) would give you that.

Associate
Try converting them to m4a files from within itunes, change the category to "Podcast", make sure the album and artsist are the same as the other files. Then backup the files, delete from itunes and re-import them

Soldato
sizes....

ep 1 - 13.8MB
ep 2 - 13.9MB
ep 3 - 13.6MB
ep 4 - 15.6MB
ep 5 - 17.4MB
ep 6 - 14.1MB
ep 7 - 13.3MB
ep 8 - 14.6MB

that cover it? :p

Soldato
OP
amit.t said:
Try converting them to m4a files from within itunes, change the category to "Podcast", make sure the album and artsist are the same as the other files. Then backup the files, delete from itunes and re-import them
Doesnt seem to work.
The most ive been able to do is get iTunes to list the MP3 episodes under the same 'album' as the AAC ones. And although the artists on all 8 are set to 'Guardian Unlimited', the MP3 episodes are still classed seperately for some reason, as 'Guardian Unlimited', while the AAC ones are listed as 'Podcasts', despite the artists on them being set to 'Guardian Unlimited' as well!
Looks like im gonna have to rely on playlists to get an iPod to play them all in order.
Ah well. Could be worse i suppose.

Associate
IF anybody really like this podcast then they should buy the DVD from ebay, about a fiver for 80 hours of more of the same (2-3 years worth of xfm radio shows with music & ads edited out)

Soldato
OP
amit.t said:
IF anybody really like this podcast then they should buy the DVD from ebay, about a fiver for 80 hours of more of the same (2-3 years worth of xfm radio shows with music & ads edited out)
That'd be implying that Ricky/Steve/Karl would be getting some of the money from the DVD.
When they're not.
Its just someone who's burned the stuff, free stuff i might add, to a DVD and then has begun selling them.

Associate
BoomAM said:
That'd be implying that Ricky/Steve/Karl would be getting some of the money from the DVD.
When they're not.
Its just someone who's burned the stuff, free stuff i might add, to a DVD and then has begun selling them.

Sadly I didnt imply that at all....which may be worse!

Anyway you cant buy/download it anywhere legally, if it was available, I'd probably buy it.

Soldato
OP
amit.t said:
Sadly I didnt imply that at all....which may be worse!
See your previous post:
'IF anybody really like this podcast then they should buy the DVD from ebay'
Which implys that people who are fans of it should buy the DVD.

Anyway you cant buy/download it anywhere legally, if it was available, I'd probably buy it.
Yes you can. Dont talk rubbish. Its called iTunes Music store. Its a free podcast.

Associate
BoomAM said:
Yes you can. Dont talk rubbish. Its called iTunes Music store. Its a free podcast.

I'm talking about the xfm radio shows, 80 hours / 3 yrs of matieral - is this available as a free podcast from iTunes? I think not.

Soldato
OP
amit.t said:
I'm talking about the xfm radio shows, 80 hours / 3 yrs of matieral - is this available as a free podcast from iTunes? I think not.
I dont recall anyone on here but you mentioning XFM though. So why argue about it? The OP was about the podcasts, not the XFX stuff. As im not interested in the XFM stuff, just the podcasts.
Plus, you can DL some of them off the XFM website...;)

Associate
BoomAM said:
I dont recall anyone on here but you mentioning XFM though. So why argue about it? The OP was about the podcasts, not the XFX stuff. As im not interested in the XFM stuff, just the podcasts.
Plus, you can DL some of them off the XFM website...;)

I sincerely tried to help you with the integration problem & then made a recommendation as to where a fan of the podcast might find more of exactly the same type of material. I dont see why you are being so rude.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Im not being rude. Theres a difference between being 'rude' & discussing the interpritation/correctness of information.
Im pointing out that your post about the DVD implyed that it was some official thing. When its not.
And while it may have been helpful, and i thank you for that, to suggest this DVD, it was'nt what i was asking in the first place was it?

Associate
BoomAM said:
Im not being rude. Theres a difference between being 'rude' & discussing the interpritation/correctness of information.
Im pointing out that your post about the DVD implyed that it was some official thing. When its not.
And while it may have been helpful, and i thank you for that, to suggest this DVD, it was'nt what i was asking in the first place was it?

Ok whatever, best of luck

Associate
Plan B: Rip off the rss feed file, and then fix the links so that the files are all local. Save the feed file locally and then re-subscribe to the local file

You would have to also, -
- manually dl the next 2-3 eps
- have a dir with the old eps which the feed file links to
- once the feed is subscribed to the files should be imported into itunes and you can delete the files in the dir

Soldato
OP
I wouldnt have thought that would have worked.
With the 3 episodes i have in MP3 format not having the relevent data to be recognised as podcats, and, being in the wrong format.
Good idea though.

Back
Top Bottom