• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How good can you make 1366x768 look?

Soldato
Yes, you guessed it!

I'm considering ditching the 2405 due to excessive gfx requirements and I'm talking about moving to a 26 or 32" lcd tv.

Obviously max res is 1366x768 and I'm wondering how much I'm going to miss 1920x1200 gaming? I don't game massively its just when I do I like it to look awesome.

Can you use a top end card to whack up all the quality on the lower res to look a bit better? (I understand I'll lose some textures etc but will it really matter?) Will the increased size really highlight the loss of res?

My 2 7800gtxs would have been enough to BUY this samsung 32" I'm looking at and as a by product I'll end up with a TV in the dining room and enough left over to buy an xbox 360 for real high def gaming.

I just don't want to do it and then end up disappointed..

Soldato
matt100 said:
Yes, you guessed it!

I'm considering ditching the 2405 due to excessive gfx requirements and I'm talking about moving to a 26 or 32" lcd tv.

Obviously max res is 1366x768 and I'm wondering how much I'm going to miss 1920x1200 gaming? I don't game massively its just when I do I like it to look awesome.

Can you use a top end card to whack up all the quality on the lower res to look a bit better? (I understand I'll lose some textures etc but will it really matter?) Will the increased size really highlight the loss of res?

My 2 7800gtxs would have been enough to BUY this samsung 32" I'm looking at and as a by product I'll end up with a TV in the dining room and enough left over to buy an xbox 360 for real high def gaming.

I just don't want to do it and then end up disappointed..

At a lower resolution you don't "lose" textures :p

I don't think you'll notice that much difference tbh. The only issue I can see is that to my knowledge not many games natively support that resolution, and hence need to be "hacked" to support it. Not going to be a problem going forward though as the devs are realising that HDTV's are a growing demographic amongst gamers.

Soldato
My HTPC is connected to a LG 32LX2R and honestly, I could not use it as a monitor - it's just too big and everything looks pixelated from where I would need to sit to use it as a desktop solution. I've not tried gaming on it so cannot comment from that aspect. A 26" TV would probably be better suited for your needs.

If you want to downgrade surely a 20" widescreen monitor would be better? I guess it depends on how much you game vs desktop work.

Soldato
I ran my shuttle with X1800XL on my plasma at that resolution, i have to say call of duty 2 looked absolutely fantastic on it, ran at 60fps with no drops with FSAA and AF, so theres a great benefit to running at a lower resolution.

Soldato
OP
actually to be fair its mainly desktop work and you've got me thinking now.. do I want forum browsing/msn/web browsing to be big enough to make me go blind...

hmm..

Maybe a rethink, I suppose I could always turn my 2405 into a tv.. that would be the other way around it.

Soldato
I'm doing the exact same thing as you this week. I've got a Dell 2405FPW which I've sold and I'll be purchasing a Atec 32" LCD TV (Atec? Who're they? Doesn't matter; the screen uses an LG panel :)) with 1366x768 native resolution.

Are you considering making the move now? 'Cause if you can wait 'til next week, I can let you know how I feel the transition went :)

-RaZ

Soldato
OP
no it wouldn;t be for a couple of weeks so I can certainly wait. Post as much info and pics as you can, if not in this thread then at least post in this thread to say you've done it!

Soldato
I'll certainly be posting a thread once I've done the upgrade. I've still got the 2405FPW at my house at the moment, so I can run a few benchmarks to compare frame rates, and also do the usual comparing the desktop real estate.

Expect plenty of photos :)

-RaZ

Soldato
i use a sammy 26" hd lcd tv panel, all i can say is its awesome, i went from a dual 17" setup to this, and love it.

desktop is fine, i dont have any issues with it, gaming is awesome!!

one thing which will take a while getting used to is the loss of dekstop real estate space that hi res affords you.

Once you get used to it it's just peachy.

But this is from a gamer, and web browser, i dont sit and do a lot of work so to speak infront of my home machine.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Datamonkey said:
i use a sammy 26" hd lcd tv panel, all i can say is its awesome, i went from a dual 17" setup to this, and love it.

desktop is fine, i dont have any issues with it, gaming is awesome!!

one thing which will take a while getting used to is the loss of dekstop real estate space that hi res affords you.

Once you get used to it it's just peachy.

But this is from a gamer, and web browser, i dont sit and do a lot of work so to speak infront of my home machine.

could you do me a favour and take a couple of snaps (not screenshots, actual photos) of your desktop on its own and with say an msn window open etc?

I think 26" might be a nice compromise actually and I'd end up in profit after selling the dell :eek:

Soldato
Maybe powerstrip or some other res program will let you run your 2405 at a res close to 1366x768..So you be able to see what's it like before selling your 2405..

(Am sure someone on this forum must know which is the best program to use for running custom res..)

Last edited:
Associate
You can add it as a custom resolution. It is also scarily small. I have a Hitachi 32LD7200 running at 1360*768. Its just about usable as a normal monitor using 1:1 mapping on DVI but not using VGA - most LCD TVs won't do full screen 1:1 mapping using DVI and it ends up less readable that 1024*768 on a 1280*1024 LCD screen.

Try and use your 2405 at 1360*768 for a couple of days (either 1:1 or scaling) you will probably decide to keep your current monitor.

Soldato
The dell 2405 at 1360*768 will look rubbish compared to a monitor with the native resolution of 1360*768 - only way you can know for sure is to see one in action mate.

Soldato
What do you want it for? For gaming and general multimedia, the lower resolution of the LCD TV will suit your needs perfectly. If you do a lot of MSN chatting/reading long documents (such as forums), then the Dell 2405FPW is for you; but expect to have to keep up with the hardware scene.

-RaZ

Soldato
Ok
I have a 1366x768 37" Philips LCD tv hooked up to a small IDEQ PC running the DVI out at as good as 1to1 pixel mapping to the TV as I can get (TV's use Scalers to allow different resolutions so do not have a native resolution input,so to speak
The Pc runs MCE 2005 and browsing /text etc is perfect from any distance
It only has a 9200 256 GFX card but I have played HL2 it looks Great except I can not run AA etc
I have also a 26" Philips 1366x768 that I use as a PC monitor and TV that looks even better as the Pixels are smaller

I too have considered going this route as I think widscreen Gaming is around the corner and with all these new games like Fear and COD2 GFX Card requirements to play at 1600x1200 are getting Stupid

Sending screenshots would not help You If You run a TFT monitor and you are on DVI You know how sharp it is the TV is the same
My TV's are 16ms responce and I have not seen image probs in that area
any questions just ask

Back
Top Bottom