When will people learn to drive manuals!!

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Ive been looking for a car for awhile now and every time i find one its always an automatic :mad:
Its feels like 99% of the car market are autos these days unless the cars are heaps of ****.
TBH Autos should never have been invented, i find they take longer to stop, take longer to speed up, people have more tendencys to drive with 2 feet, if ** foot slips of the brake u will take off and into the back of another car when in a manual u are either in nutrual or the hand brake is on so u cant go anywhere.
I wish autos got band from the road. Im sick of them :mad:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
He is in australia, i get the impression automatic's are more common over there than here if he cannot find any good manuals :)

Man of Honour
Sounds to me like you are trying to buy a car of the type that the market prefers in automatic form, probably a large executive saloon with a powerful engine or similar?

A decent autobox mated to a properly sized engine provides brisk performance, and to suggest they take longer to stop is utterly ridiculous, as is the claim it makes you more likely to tailgate.

Have you any experience of a proper automatic or did you once drive a Corsa auto, thought it sucked, and assumed all auto's are the same?

What are you trying to buy?

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Sounds to me like you are trying to buy a car of the type that the market prefers in automatic form, probably a large executive saloon with a powerful engine or similar?

A decent autobox mated to a properly sized engine provides brisk performance, and to suggest they take longer to stop is utterly ridiculous, as is the claim it makes you more likely to tailgate.

Have you any experience of a proper automatic or did you once drive a Corsa auto, thought it sucked, and assumed all auto's are the same?

What are you trying to buy?

Ive tryed a fair few autos and they dont suit my driving style. What i mean it takes longer to stop is i like to engine brake a lot and wih autos u cant do that propperly :(

Im looking for some a BMW a Subaru or something sporty but comfortable. BMWs are usally bought by the rich gits that dont have time to change gears but you would expect some of these cars to be manual.
Every time i find something on the market that i like and is in my price range and a good deal it turns out to be an auto :mad:

EDIT: i live in a hilly area aswell and autos just love that :rolleyes:

Associate
Ive tryed a fair few autos and they dont suit my driving style.

You use the clutch/gear change to slow down then, not a brilliant way to drive a car it will end up costing for a new clutch! :p

EDIT: i live in a hilly area aswell and autos just love that

Autos are fine for hilly areas (they are a lot better in some respects! Hill starts rule as does sitting in a traffic jam on a hill! (yes I do drive one, yes I did own a manual before)) In my opinion the only thing bad about autos is the slight loss of power compared to manuals. I know some people don't like autos, but I also know that 95% of these people have never actually driven an auto for any kind of time, I to didn’t like the idea of an auto but after owning one for a month I really do love them!

Try looking on auto trader for a manual BMW, there are a fair few about I would say a 60/40 split between autos and manuals, this does depend what type of BMW you want mind. What about a tiptronic?

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
I dont mind tiptronic but they would be out of my price range.
Could someone also tell me what steptronic is? i only heard of it about 2 days ago.

Soldato
Ukadder said:
You use the clutch/gear change to slow down then, not a brilliant way to drive a car it will end up costing for a new clutch! :p

I tend to do this since it leaves the car more balanced then standing on the brakes, you can always do that in addition of course. I think being in a right gear is good driving and it helps a lot on fast corners but you probably right about it costing more in the end.

Never driven an auto and never want to, for city traffic I expect they are better though I avoid that kind of mindless driving if I can anyway.
I heard autos work great on snow

Soldato
Ring Peace said:
Erm I suggest you try an Audi DSG
it might be good, but it isnt an auto. Tiptronic, steptronic and all that balls is just an auto with which you can override the gear selection, they are poor at best tbh.

Soldato
in the context that they result in laggy changes and the majority of them will shift up if you hold it on the limiter, eliminating the whole 'manual' aspect of it.

As for my ststement being rubbish, thanks, added to ignore list...

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Clarkey said:
in the context that they result in laggy changes and the majority of them will shift up if you hold it on the limiter, eliminating the whole 'manual' aspect of it.

Since when is there an ignore list?

Soldato
I did my test in manual but got an auto/manual car. Reason is that you start and stop so much in busy traffic so often I cba changing, so dont insult the auto!!!! :(

Caporegime
Clarkey said:

in the 3 steptronics ive driven none have stepped up a gear in semi mode unless i have told it to.
laggy changes? never noticed it unless i was ragging it and then it makes sense that it would wait till its in a mechanically safe position to do so.
why buy an auto if you want a car that your going to rag on the limiter anyway?

the only time it really makes a difference is if your racing etc, which is the 1% of driving, making my claim of your statement being rubbish valid :]

Back
Top Bottom