So who remembers populous

Soldato
Crazy Fool said:
then we move onto the great syndicate

Minigun + Guass Gun = Overkill! :D

Think there was a mission in North America where you had to assissinate a VIP, he was part of a parade of cars slowly through the map, the streets were filled with pedestrians watching the cars.
God that map was a bloody massacre, i played it countless times :p

Soldato
Think there was a mission in North America where you had to assissinate a VIP, he was part of a parade of cars slowly through the map, the streets were filled with pedestrians watching the cars.
God that map was a bloody massacre, i played it countless times

Hell yeah...that was just classic.

I loved Syndicate - I won it for getting "Cheat of the Month" in the October 1993 edition of "The One" magazine :D for finding out that you could substitute sent off players in Dino Dini's "Goal!"...(and I've still got the magazine for prosperity :p)

I've really gotta break that game out again...

amazing wil try tonight. Will it work ok on XP machines ?

Doubtful...who knows though? But there's always DOSBox?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Played Populous to death on my Amiga. I think it was level 151 where they started to take all the powers you had aquired back.
Dealing out Tidal waves and Famine and disease was top. An excellent game. Same as Dune. Loved that and play it to death aswell.
RRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Sweet old memorys of my Amiga.

Associate
original populous rocked, can't say I enjoyed populous 3 though.

Isn't Megalomania free to download (ie abandonware) too now? Anyone know if Syndicate is cos I would love to play it again.

Soldato
Noxis said:
The ORIGINAL populous I played on the Amiga - rocked.... but not as much as Cannon Fodder!

"War! Never been so much fun... WAR! never been so much fun... talk to your brother, kill him with a gun leave him in his uniform lieing in the sun.... WAR!" (lyrics to that affect anyway).

Quoted for the truth!! what a game, excellent game, amiga was the best at the time, also project x on it!! what a shoot em up. better than r type and silkworm imho!!

Dont think its gonna hurt now, but i remember myself and a mate of mine used to hack on the amiga (yes i know we were school kids) then he started coding games and i did level design for him.

He now works for the codies lol in warwick or up that way anyways.

That was the good ol' days,

Soldato
nero120 said:
Wasn't it Powermonger?

My bro had it on our Amiga 500. I thought it looked great, but at around 8 years old I sucked at it! Twas very difficult. Great game though. I loved slaughtering sheep and getting my men around the campfire!

my friend your soo right also! it was power monger!!.

I miss my amiga days, going through zip sticks, trying out the new fangled bug joy stick, hating it an going back to zip sticks, the good ol' coca cola copy disk that i think every school kid had!! and then saving for months for the blitz copy drive!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Populous was class, and powermonger was amazing to spent so much times on those games. I can hear the wood being sawed now and the sheep :)

Soldato
POPULOUS! One of only 2 or 3 games I really played. Had it on my Amiga 1200 - with the weird Lost Worlds (I think?) expansion where there was a French Revolution, Lego and Circuit Board world :D

My best tactic was to always build my land 2 layers high then cause a flood - then start on creating the knights and send just the one over on a narrow path of land to cause destruction, then after strengthening my men (and making the majority of dwellings into castles) set the Papal magnet thing in the enemy land to cause all my people to flock over there and build on their land and fight their people... THEN armageddon.

"Well done, mortal..."

Associate
Populous 2 will work through DosBox at least it does under Windows 2000. A few months ago my Amiga version died. :(
So I've been playing 'The Settlers', until i can find a replacement. I got annoyed at Powermonger as i could'nt get passed a certain point after i had conquered half the map.

Associate
LOL, I had Populous when it came out on the Master System!!! Oh the joys of trying to run the world with a d-pad and 2 buttons. The 'drama' alarm noise got a bit annoying after a while when the factions started fighting.."durr derr durr derr duurr derr" :)

Soldato
The heartbeat of Populous (Amiga) used to wind it's way into my subconscious - almost was weird when I couldn't hear it! Loved the way it sped up when things went very wrong or right :D

How does the PC populous compare with the amiga version? The orginal I mean here, not Beginnings.

Man of Honour
Matmulder said:
Populous and Populous 2 are now officially abandonware and can be downloaded for free off the net :)

Pop2 is available at *I don't think so*

Sorry - no such thing as abandonware - it's still just pirated software UNLESS it has been officially released by the current copyright holders. Which 99.9% of the stuff on that site hasn't been.

Like Elite has been. :D *Ian Bell's web site has many versions of it*
And Cinemaware

There's a couple of sites that only does stuff that has been officially released - but the one you mentioned is a very bad one.

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Ah I weep to think of playing populous and powermonger as a wee lad!

TBH I think our generation had the best years with the c64 and amiga era. Kids today just dont have it as good as us - just like with cartoons. Or does every generation say that?! ;)

Man of Honour
I absolutely loved Populous and Polulous 2. Pop 2 was the first even networked game I played. Ok it was only two player but you could connect two Amiga's with a serial cable. I used to play against a friend every weekend. He kept getting me with the classic: grow trees in my area and set fire to them. Next time he'd grow trees I'd lower the ground to get rid of them... and he'd stick a damn whirlpool in it!

Great game. Loved it to bits.

Associate
I would have loved to have networked that. Used to flatern the ground so all the settlements were massive, and grew quicker, then put a few small hills in to make the settlements spawn people, then reflatern. Swamps, earthquakes and the plagues were good fun.

Soldato
nero120 said:
Ah I weep to think of playing populous and powermonger as a wee lad!

TBH I think our generation had the best years with the c64 and amiga era. Kids today just dont have it as good as us - just like with cartoons. Or does every generation say that?! ;)

Maybe. But for the sake of it, i'll agree. Cartoons and videogames back in our day > *. :D

Back
Top Bottom