Remote tutorial?

ajm

ajm

Associate
Don't know if this should be in here or software.

Does anyone know of a good easy to understand tutorial on how to setup remote assistance or remote desktop?

ajm

ajm

Associate
OP
I used the tutorial above and it worked fine with the 2 pc's on my network but when i tried to connect to a friends pc it didn't work is there any other way to do it?

Soldato
is your friend's pc in your LAN? if so make sure it got same workgroup if not, use IP of this pc.

if its over the internet, he'll probably got a router then he'll need forward port 3389 (not sure if its right port) to his PC and the router will accept your RDC incoming and re-direct to his PC.

ajm

ajm

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply wesley
No he is not on my LAN.It is over the internet and he doesn't have a router but i do.So what will i need to do?

Soldato
he got firewall? he must set his firewall to accept your RDC incoming.......i think his PC must be password protected too

Associate
Yeah as Wesley correctly said he does need an account (or in this case his account..) to be password protected otherwise it will not allow a connection. Just going over stuff Wesley has said, but yeah check those things out and let us know, I'm sure one of us can help you out, to sort the problem.

Also is he on a LAN or is he directly connected to the internet?

;)

ajm

ajm

Associate
OP
I am a bit confused now.
Does he need to be password protected?
He is on a computer in another country.
He is connected via broadband modem (So i think it's directly connected).

Soldato
yes his PC must be password protected otherwise anyone could access his pc without a password, not safe :)

doesnt matter if he's in another country

oh? dont think XP Home Edition support RDC, dont quote me thou!

Associate
Does he need to be password protected? Yes he does
He is on a computer in another country.
He is connected via broadband modem.

In that case you will need to know his IP address before you can connect to him
he can get that by going into DOS and typing ipconfig

However port 3389 needs to be opened on his pc. It will depend on what firewall he has on the method to go about this

with the service pack 2 firewall on windows xp. Ticking the remote desktop option should allow the service on the firewall :)

wesley you are correct. Only Pro has remote desktop. You can install the client onto Home from a pro disk but it only supports outgoing remote desktops not incoming

ajm

ajm

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info guys.

We are both using Win XP pro
However port 3389 needs to be opened on his pc
He has Norton Internet security,so could you tell me how to go about opening this port?
I know what his IP is.

Associate
sorry i know its possible but i cant remember (ages since i used it) have a look on their website. Its in the options if you click on the taskbar icon.....somewhere

Soldato
Remote asssistance in Messenger IS doable - it gives the added advantage of both parties being able to see whats going on (RDS logs off the current user, your friend will be sat looking at the login button you get after screen-saver kicks in). For the MSN to work you need to be on same version of MSN messenger (go get latest) and fairly easy from there.

Back
Top Bottom