3D Modeling : Middlesbrough 2105

Caporegime
Had to create a city based on 'Boro in 2105 for a fictional games company as part of my University Module. Model had to be 0.5km x 0.5km and have no more than 100,000 polygons (based on next generation technology). It also had to be 1 single solid welded mesh.

This is how it was handed in.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/28278918/

Unfortunately I ran out of time to texture it, or add any instanced objects (of which we were allowed upto 50,000 polygons attached.

It took a couple of hundred hours I would guess, I worked from 29th December to 27th January pretty much solid whenever I wasn't at Uni/Work/Sleeping. Couldn't give an exact number.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats some awesome stuff mate. How do you go about planning what kind of buildings to include in the picture?

Are you going to add the texture and instanced objects?

Caporegime
OP
JonRohan said:
Thats some awesome stuff mate. How do you go about planning what kind of buildings to include in the picture?

Are you going to add the texture and instanced objects?

The 30% original buildings were chosed within the area of middlesbrough designated at my own accord. I chose buildings that were interesting and difficult to make rather than typical square buildings. The buildings I chose were all listed.

For the other buildings we had to design 2 styles to cover the next 100 years, the first set were all set straight angular, powerful buildings, the next set for 100 years in the future were far more 'futuristic' to what we would expect from Blade Runner or Fifth Element. For these I encorporated Solar Power as the Earth has become too dependent on Nuclear power the global warming has hit critical levels and is at critical mass. Power is now harnessed through Solar to clear up the atmosphere, hence the blue sky.

2 Other buildings on there (City Hall and Middlesbrough Tower) are both based around items found in Middlesbrough. The City Hall has a 'Solar Sail' down the front to harness power. As Middlesbrough has a large shipping section for trade I tried to encorporate features from this. Middlebrough tower has a large mast extruding through the center of it with a 'birds nest' feature which is actually a set of windows to show the panoramic view of Middlesbrough.

I will try and texture it, add the instanced objects aswell. I will use it for my portfolio. I will also try to get the hand of better rendering methods and lighting which I do struggle with as they just won't teach us for now :p.

roboffer said:
Mark:
D+

Tutor Comments:
A blue sky in Middlesbrough, pull the other one...

On a more serious note, thats impressive, never had the patience to do 3D modelling.

The reason for the Blue sky is explained above, with the power stations and factories in Middlesbrough now, 60 years in the future it hit critical levels, Solar panels were placed to power all housing and business power, Power stations still exist (I have a section of one on my map) to power old listed buildings and industry, but at less effect on the atmosphere. (I will get more renders to show you all).

Thanks for the kind words, I am always trying to improve :).

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
95,900 polygons.
It was made in Edit Mesh, so it's a true reading.

In that case then when the model get exported into a game engine the Polygons will double as game engines use Tris

edit/ Sorry just re-read what you said :o

Associate
Nice work, never seen boro look so good, i take it your at Teesside uni? I was there from 97 - 2002. I made a couple of UT maps of boro (Blaises night club as it was single player DM map, and a Cleveland shopping centre industrial style map DM and CTF multiplay maps). you can download them at my website if your interested www.richard1973.co.uk they were made for Clive Fencotts classes, he still around?

Caporegime
OP
richard1973 said:
they were made for Clive Fencotts classes, he still around?

Not that I know of, unless he's there in another capacity. The main lecturers are Paul Docherty, Simon McKeown, Gabrielle Kent, Sabrina Schmidt, Chris Wyatt, Forrester De-Sa, Michael and Matthew Holton and Huibo Li.

I study a BA in Computer Games Design. I noticed you did Creative Visualization, my 2 friends are doing that at the moment. They are in their last year.

Caporegime
OP
If you were on campus, you should recognize these buildings:

centerhouse0tl.jpg

waterhouse3zu.jpg

Associate
nice work, yeah i remember them buildings, the first is just near the Southfield pub which I still go to as its my fave pub (shame I have no more yellow card) and the last building perpendicular to the main towers entrance. Very nice models. Will you get chance to texture them and create them in an animation or do full render frames with light sources etc?

I remember Mathew Holton, guy is a genious at programming. Thankfully I left the programming side of things after my HND, but my mates who did BSc Viz after the HND and I went to BA Creative Viz would go on about the stuff he works out etc.

Looks like a lot of the 3D/Animation/Virtua Reality lectures have left, all those names are new to me. I last saw Clive on campus in 2003 time (when wandering about, i left in 2002) he was my project supervisor on my MA, top bloke! Best of luck for your final year, it certainly looks like it's going well :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom