UK court to unmask 'file-sharers'

HaX

HaX

Associate
Taken from here
UK court to unmask 'file-sharers'

About a quarter of software in the UK is estimated to be pirated
Ten internet service providers have been ordered to hand over the details of 150 UK customers accused of illegally sharing software.
The High Court order follows a 12-month covert investigation by the Federation Against Software Theft (Fast).

Among the internet providers are BT, NTL, Telewest and Tiscali.

Over the next two weeks, they are expected to provide the names, addresses and other personal details of the alleged file-sharers.

Sounds like the Software companies are tightening up a little bit regarding piracy. To be honest I can see that they need to.

I do however think that if software wasn't so expensive, people would be more disposed towards purchasing it legitimately.

I wonder how much they are going to sue individuals for. Its' not as if the average bloke on the street will be able to afford being sued for £30 k for instance.

Soldato
Since the number is as low as 150 (compared to the masses that use file sharing programs) i'm assuming these are the people who cross limits of a few hundred gb a month of data transfer :p

(At least I hope so ;))

HaX

HaX

Associate
OP
By law, will the ISPs be required to notify their customers that they have passed their details onto a law enforcement agency?

HaX

HaX

Associate
OP
In my line of work (working for high profile financial clients in the IT Outsourcing industry) I'd be screwed for a job aswell as a way of life.

As I understand it, FAST tend to sue people for all they've got.

Where would someone stand if they were sued for an amount of money which would financially cripple them for the rest of their lives?

Associate
Just out of interest, what would happen if you found out this was goin to happen to you, and promptly ripped out your hard drive and threw it in a river/stamped it into small pieces? Surely they would then have no real evidence?

Back
Top Bottom