Gaming mouse - worth it?

Associate
I'm currently using a basic MS optical mouse and am thinking of getting an mx510(the bundle with the pro mousemat looks like a good deal). Just want to know whether people here reckon it's worth paying for a "gaming" mouse is really worth it? I think the mouse I use is 400dpi, am I going to notice the difference when moving up to 800dpi?

Thanks.

Soldato
getting a proper mouse is DEFINITELY worth it, even if you're not a particuarly heavy gamer (like me...probably only game for a few hours a week if that at the moment any way).

Man of Honour
MX510 is kinda old tech though.... don't get me wrong, it's a good mouse (I've got one sat on the shelf), but buying today you are better off going for a 2000dpi one like a Razer Copperhead or Logitech G5. At the very least go for the mx518 which is the same as the mx510 but with better internals.

Soldato
I had a Microsoft Wireless mouse and it was dire, the movement was laggy, and you couldnt move fast or nothing.

Ive since then seen the error of my ways and bought a Logitech G7 which is immensely good. Games seem smoother to play, and judging by my cs scores targeting is a lot easier.

Definately a worthy upgrade.

Soldato
defo, i have one of those razor diamondback, and if anything it's too responsive!!

only trouble is everyone once in a while it's not recognised when you boot up, something to do with drawing too much power from the usb apparently.

would recommend it though, and they come in 3 colours ;)

Man of Honour
NokkonWud said:
Used an MX518, MX1000 and a Razer Copperhead.

Still using the MS IntelliMouse Optical.

Similar story here. Used an MX700, MX518 and Copperhead. Still prefer my old MS Intellimouse 3.

Associate
5bjoshua said:
I had a Microsoft Wireless mouse and it was dire, the movement was laggy, and you couldnt move fast or nothing.

Ive since then seen the error of my ways and bought a Logitech G7 which is immensely good. Games seem smoother to play, and judging by my cs scores targeting is a lot easier.

Definately a worthy upgrade.

I've also got a G7 great mouse, previously had an Mx1000 which I didn't really like as the response wasn't great and it was a bit heavy due to the batteries. This G7 is real different light a v responsive.

Associate
When you have a top spec mouse with great build quality in your hand it inspires you with confidence. Everything feels so sure and consistent. You need a decent mat as well, so that the surface is uniform and the mouse glides like soap.

I have a G7, the accuaracy is fantastic and if I have to rapidly move the mouse across a large distance I know the stupid wire isn't going to tug and get me dead.

Soldato
Stellios said:
Yes, definately. Ive got an MX510 and love it. Really comfortable and lovely to use. Its also noticably better in games than a standard mouse.

quoted for the truth ;)

Used to think my creative 3500 was alright... now in comparison it seems clunky, uncomfortable, inaccuate and slow.

Soldato
I'd say it's a good idea if you play FPS games, altho it is down to personal preference.

I have had a few different mice in fps gaming ranging from cheap to limited editions etc.

mice
cheap 3btn -> razor boomslang 1000(ltd ed) -> logitech -> intellimouse explorer v3 -> Mx500 -> Razor Diamondback

mats:
cheapo -> none -> steelpad 4S -> Qpad XXXL

My favourite from all of those are what I am using atm (Diamondback + Qpad). Various reasons really. Altho my intelli was very good.
My boomslang1000 which I bought on release back in the quake2 days was a good mouse for it's time but it did end up breaking :(.
The MX500 was pretty excellent after applying the driver tweaks like 800dpi / 500 Hz (2 ms). I also modded mine removing the weight which improved it even more, in the end the teflon ran out due to the steelpad, including the steelpads mouseskatez.

In mousemats I'd say I am a lot happier with my qpad being soft, massive, responsive and easy to clean.
I would never suggest buying a steelpad from my expierience of the Steelpad 4S, firstly it wasn't so comfortable, it wore away the teflon very quickly and even the mouseskatez provided (which I replaced 5 times throughout 6months of having the mat). Also throughout that time my steelpad 4S was shiney and really deteriorated any mousing on it (understandably).

ultimately it depends on how you use the mouse, what sensitivity u use etc. You might buy a Logitech G5 but only use it at 400dpi or 800dpi.
2000dpi+100hz polling might just not be for you either :eek:

Soldato
Ive got a ms intelli mouse atm, keeps randomly wheel rolling on its own and the left mouse button presses if i move too quickly..lol , and whipping you? Oh yes ;) When I'm not ill :) Tried to play today, 1. trackmania has buggered my game up, 2. everything goes blurry and i cant concentrate after a while, haha. The joy :D

Associate
I contemplated whether I should get an 'expensive' mouse for gaming and other stuff - I ended up getting the Logitech MX518. I've had problems with loads of mice in the past, but I can honestly say I have not had a single problem with it, and not only has it improved my gaming, but other PC-related tasks.

Back
Top Bottom