Good cheap(ish) Sat Nav

Soldato
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, sorry if its not.

Im looking for a sat nav (Tom tom, navman, or whatever). Idealy I want to spend around £200, I know this is unlikely but if anyone has any decent suggestions for any around this price that would be great. The absolute maximum I can spend is £300.

I don't need it to do anything flashy. However, the one thing it must do is give me the option to omit certain roads from the journey or give me the option to go via certain roads (incase of traffic etc).

Thanks a lot.

Soldato
"Cheap" supermarkets like KwikSave, Aldi, Lidl and Safeway have some bargains such as a PDA and GPS device for ~£130. I think they come with their own Sat Nav software, or if it's not to your taste you can buy TomTom5 for about £100 on top of that.

Ish

Ish

Associate
cheapest soloution:-

used pda from auction sites £80-£100
memory card £15-£20
windscreen mount for pda £5
bluetooth gps receiver (if pda doesn't have one built in) £40-£50
tomtom software from a reputable retailer.

easy all in one soloution brand new for £250 - TomTom ONE

Soldato
I have a Garmin i3. They can be had for £169.99 brand new. Fair enough you don't get all the gadgets that you would with a PDA but they do the job very well. Good mapping, good size as well IMO. Scroll wheel is a bit annoying though.

Associate
thebrasso said:
I have a Garmin i3. They can be had for £169.99 brand new. Fair enough you don't get all the gadgets that you would with a PDA but they do the job very well. Good mapping, good size as well IMO. Scroll wheel is a bit annoying though.

yes i have the Garmin i3 does the job just fine ;)

Soldato
By choosing your route do you mean putting way points, going via different places? You can set it to avoid motorways or things like farm tracks. But if you decide to go a different way it will re-calculate for you on the fly.

A few weeks ago I was going to North London I was going to go M6, M42, M1 (I think thats the way) but I decided to go A50 and straight onto the M1. As soon as I was going towards the A50 it recalculated for me.

Soldato
Scottland said:
"Cheap" supermarkets like KwikSave, Aldi, Lidl and Safeway have some bargains such as a PDA and GPS device for ~£130. I think they come with their own Sat Nav software, or if it's not to your taste you can buy TomTom5 for about £100 on top of that.

Agreed. These cheap units are re-branded Mitac/Medion ones and are actually quite a capable PDA aswell as good for Sat Nav.

I use mine daily for keeping appointments on, I keep my accounts on it so I can update them as and when I need to plus I stick .avi files on there for watching during my lunch break!

The bundled Sat-Nav software I would describe as adequate but its not as good as Tom Tom which I run on mine. No idea how much the Tom Tom software is as I managed to score a copy from work :cool:

Soldato
Scottland said:
I've seen the Garmin i3's for 99.99 in Kwiks and Safeway

:eek: Bugger. I paid £169.99 not long before Christmas. Oh well. I like mine anyway, it does the job. I did give it some thought and I wouldn't use a PDA.

Associate
buy a second hand decent pda, and then get hold of the Tom Tom software

Only paid £140 for my PDA from an excellent seller here, got hold of a copy of tom tom, bought a bluetooth gps receiver. So for £200 I have an excellent PDA and superb sat nav too, compared to my dads Garmin Quest its much better!

Soldato
Scottland said:
Is there anyway to add european maps to the i3, and if so, how? I might pick one up for the parents...

You can't add new maps, I'll have to check later but I seem to think mine has maps for France and Belgium on there.

Soldato
Ardmanz said:
Where abouts? The all seem to be sommersets and morrisons now. Do they have online stores?

They aren't stocked in Safeways or Morrisons AFAIK, though there may well be some in Somerset ;)

Somerfield is the supermarket you are looking for...

Back
Top Bottom