Considering buying a new phone...

Soldato
I'm deciding which phone to purchase at the moment, I have a budget of £100 but I would live to spend a little less if possible. I've had my eye on the Motorola V620, it's hardly top of the range, but I think it will serve me well. I have looked on ebay and have found it to be very cheap on there, I have also found that most of the newer models end up not that much cheaper than buying it new.

I'm really just looking for a flip phone, nothing really flash. I like the look of the V3, I would be prepared to stretch my budget out for one but the features don't seem to be good enough for the price.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Associate
TheVoice said:
I wouldn't rate any Motorolas very highly, to be honest. Shoddy build quality, terrible software, and just overall bad phones.

:o

lies

motorola mpx200
smartphone too;)

good phone,mp3 player,windows media player,email blah blah,i have 1 and i LOVE IT!

and on a auction site u can get them from £20 onwards:D

if its brand new your after then i cant help,but giving you another option:D

EDIT: although lack of camera may let you down,then theres always the mpx220;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, my brother settled for the Samsung D500 which I gave him some money towards since it was his birthday...

Anyway, I need a new phone fairly soon. I have a k500i that is really starting to annoy me! Sometimes the power switches itself off, the joystick is absolute pap and no longer works properly and half the housing round it has broken off anyway after I dropped it by accident!

So the joystick itself sometimes pops out! I think the recurrent alarm is a little dodgy too. I have had it a little over a year now, but it started messing up about September or October time.

Anyway, I am looking to get a non-joystick phone. I don't have a particular price in mind though I don't want to spend too much - at best I spend £5/month and rarely £10 a month on pay as you go - but never anymore, so a contract phone may not be an option for me bearing all that in mind...

All help appreciated!

Soldato
Immortal said:

lies

motorola mpx200
smartphone too

good phone,mp3 player,windows media player,email blah blah,i have 1 and i LOVE IT!

and on a auction site u can get them from £20 onwards

if its brand new your after then i cant help,but giving you another option

EDIT: although lack of camera may let you down,then theres always the mpx220

Unfortunately it's an old and slow phone, even the now old and very cheap spv c500 is a far better phone :) And on that note, consider the c500 :p

spvc500.jpg

Smallest smartphone on the market still (c550 and c600 are very marginally bigger iirc)

Tom.

Soldato
Gamefreak501 said:
I'm really just looking for a flip phone
rG-tom said:
And on that note, consider the c500 :p

How about something like the Panasonic VS6? It's quite a competant phone with 2MP camera, MP3 ringtones, video and Sonic The Hedgehog game!!! :D I've not used one but I used to have a GD87 when they first came out and I got on quite well with it. Certainly much nicer to use that any of the Moto's i've used. Plus the VS6 can be had for under £100 PAYG :)

Soldato
OP
Hey everyone,

Cheers for the help so far,

I should really apologise for any confusion in this thread - I let my brother post on the thread because he needed a phone, but now he has the D500, so I now need recommendations,

The Panasonic looks like a good phone, not sure about the Orange cXXX phones as they seem to have joysticks on them and after the torment of the joystick on my k500i, I'm not sure I really want to go for one!

As for the style of the phone, I am not fussed about whether it flips or not, I don't really like the V3 either. It's a nice enough phone, but it's far too common!

Cheers again for the help so far, hopefully I won't take over a week to come to a decision like my brother did!

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Yeah Panasonic VS6 is a good phone, hardy little thing too, saw a guy spend all Saturday afternoon trying to snap the thing and it wouldn't break :o

Soldato
rG-tom said:
Unfortunately it's an old and slow phone, even the now old and very cheap spv c500 is a far better phone :) And on that note, consider the c500 :p

spvc500.jpg

Smallest smartphone on the market still (c550 and c600 are very marginally bigger iirc)

Tom.

Quick question, but are the SPV's Orange only, or can you get them unlocked? ;)

Soldato
Take a look at the Nokia N71. Should be out soon over here.

Symbian Series 60 Operating system, 2MP camera, 3G, lush 262k colour screen, expandable mini sd memory etc etc.

If you can wait that is.

t3h :cool:

Soldato
OP
Hmm, the iMate SP3/SPV looks like quite a good phone, memory upgradable too! I might have to keep that one in mind along with the Panasonic :)

And the Nokia N71! Crikey, I'm going to be a while picking a phone!

Last edited:
Soldato
oops sorry didnt see the flip phone comment :x

The "joystick" is actually a strange design but very effective, it kinda scrolls up and down, and presses on either side. it's not prone to breaking like the sony ericsson joysticks either.

They can be unlocked easily and cost like ~£60 on the bay for a decent condition one :)

Tom.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
c500 is by far the worst phone I ever owned. Constant issues with multiple button presses, phone itself wears really badly, camera never exits after closing hogging memory and draining power, windows on it have ergonomics and usefullness comparable to concrete shoes while diving (8 key strokes to start writing SMS. Can't assign speed dials to numbers stored in SIM, no shutcut customisations - basic functions one would think)and honestly I can't wait till I get rid of it (had it for 11 1/2 months already)..

Back
Top Bottom