• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

safe overclock temps?

Associate
Alright i'm very new to overclocking and i'm wondering at what temperature for the gpu should i start worrying about damaging the chip? Also does anyone know how accurate Lavalys everest's temperature reader is? Just asking because that what i'm using for temp readout, any help is greatly appreciated.

Soldato
What card is it? Are you using stock cooling? What are the clocks? :)

As long as you test thoroughly with 3DMark and ATi Tool (its artifact test also works on nVidia cards) then you shouldn't have a problem. Any corruption to the graphics, crashes, freezes etc, you know it's time to back off. If you want to keep going then it's time to invest in a better cooling solution. As long as you don't go crazy you shouldn't damage the card. Of course, you do it all at your own risk, etc, etc ;)

I've overclocked every video card I've ever owned (and that's a few...) and have only had one die on me.....and that was probably just a faulty card anyway.

Associate
OP
Ah that's good to hear that the cards can normally take a good deal of abuse, my card is an unlocked X800GTO2, current clock is 460 core 534 memory, when benchmarking with 3dmark i don't really see it go over 62-63oC i know that's not too bad probably but i'd just like to know when it's time to turn it back down, like around in the high 60's low-mid 70's? i'd just like to know. Oh and yes it's the stock cooler that came on the card, i'm thinking of bumping the fan speed a bit considering it's only at 55% by default.

Associate
Richimself said:
Ah that's good to hear that the cards can normally take a good deal of abuse, my card is an unlocked X800GTO2, current clock is 460 core 534 memory, when benchmarking with 3dmark i don't really see it go over 62-63oC i know that's not too bad probably but i'd just like to know when it's time to turn it back down, like around in the high 60's low-mid 70's? i'd just like to know. Oh and yes it's the stock cooler that came on the card, i'm thinking of bumping the fan speed a bit considering it's only at 55% by default.

I am overclocking my X850XT and have found in my system that underload at my max 556/621 I run at 68 to 70C on my stock cooler and though this is stable I think to go further I will need better cooling. Awaiting next consignment of Artic Coolers and will fit a 80mm case fan on the rear of my case and really interested in fitting a big Typhoon as I only have a side vent and want to expell air directly out of here as opposed to circulating warm air in the case but not certain it will fit. Incidently at one point last week I acheived an overclock of 562/627 but I have since found this unstable I put this down to the temps as at that point I had my case side removed and the base unit in open air.

Back
Top Bottom