• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Difference between San Diego and Opteron :confused:

Soldato
I find it very hard to decide what Skt939 CPU I want, I have a Opteron 146 on backorder somewhere but I doubt AMD will ever make them again so I gotta think about alternatives.

As far as I can see are the only difference between a Venice and the San diego the 512kb/1mb cache??

But wouldn't that make a San Diego the same as a Opteron which itself is the same as a FX but without a unlocked multi?

Associate
There's no real difference between the San Diegos and the Opterons.

In essence, the two cores are the same. Both have 1mb L2, are s939 and use the rev. E memory controler. The only reason people are hyping the Opterons so much is because they clock well. :)

Soldato
OP
Kesnel said:
In essence, the two cores are the same. Both have 1mb L2, are s939 and use the rev. E memory controler. The only reason people are hyping the Opterons so much is because they clock well. :)
Is that because they are sort of handpicked by AMD and are the best clocking cores with low voltage?

Soldato
Best wafers used as they are supposed to be server chips.Also require less volts than the usual A64's.well mine does anyway.

Soldato
Not sure of the stepping on my 3700 but got it about 2 weeks ago from overclockers and it's running 2.7ghz on stock volts and stock cooler.

They are a bargin @ £150 or so.

Associate
Dutch Guy said:
I have one on back-order for €173 (£118) including delivery but the retailer can't give me a date when he expects them :(

I have one on backorder with a retailer for about that price too, gave them a ring yesterday and they have 35,000 preorders :eek: apparently they will not be selling them at the price everyone has ordered them at though. They are about to start ringing/emailing everyone who has ordered one to see if they want them at the new price (which they don't "officially" have yet which is why they haven't started ringing people). They are saying that if people still want them at the new price they should be shipping in the second week of February.

Soldato
OP
booyaka said:
Not sure of the stepping on my 3700 but got it about 2 weeks ago from overclockers and it's running 2.7ghz on stock volts and stock cooler.

They are a bargin @ £150 or so.
Yeah, i'm seriuosly considering getting one, I e-mailed the retailer I ordered a Opteron 146 from if they can deliver one soon, if not I'll cancel the order and get a SD 3700+ from OcUK

Associate
Dutch Guy said:
Yeah, i'm seriuosly considering getting one, I e-mailed the retailer I ordered a Opteron 146 from if they can deliver one soon, if not I'll cancel the order and get a SD 3700+ from OcUK

I'd definatly go with the 3700SD.

I'm going to sell mine soon as my Opty 170 has arrived but my 3700SD has done 3ghz @ 1.55V but it wasn't stable. Could still do a 3Dmark06!

My CPU is KAB2E but if you can get your hands on a KAB3E you will be laughing. Some thing like 3ghz on stock volts with the usual air cooling!

Soldato
Workshed said:
I have one on backorder with a retailer for about that price too, gave them a ring yesterday and they have 35,000 preorders :eek: apparently they will not be selling them at the price everyone has ordered them at though. They are about to start ringing/emailing everyone who has ordered one to see if they want them at the new price (which they don't "officially" have yet which is why they haven't started ringing people). They are saying that if people still want them at the new price they should be shipping in the second week of February.
35,000 thats mad. I blame Custom PC mag for giving the impression they all do 2.8 no probs

Soldato
OP
ninjapilot said:
Also don't the 3700SD have a higher multi?

Ninja
they have a 11x multi vs a 10x multi for a Opteron 146 but a 10x multi is fine as I have a DFI mobo that will do 300Mhz easy (I hope :p )

I gave OcUK a e-mail using the webnote system asking what SD 3700+ stepping they are selling but they can't tell me what stepping it is and that they can have several steppings.

Soldato
Dutch Guy said:
they have a 11x multi vs a 10x multi for a Opteron 146 but a 10x multi is fine as I have a DFI mobo that will do 300Mhz easy (I hope :p )

I gave OcUK a e-mail using the webnote system asking what SD 3700+ stepping they are selling but they can't tell me what stepping it is and that they can have several steppings.

Just received mine, it's a KAB2E, just got it installed, so will be playing around with it tonight.

Soldato
Dutch Guy said:
I find it very hard to decide what Skt939 CPU I want, I have a Opteron 146 on backorder somewhere but I doubt AMD will ever make them again so I gotta think about alternatives.

Me thinks you aren't looking in the right place for one of these 146's. I can see them in stock at £176.19, a bit pricey, but I suppose as they aren't available in most places the price will be rising all the time ;)

MODEL NUMBER:
OSA146BNBOX

STEPPING:
E4

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom