corrupt file

Soldato
after ive downloaded a program off the net and tried to install it keeps saying file corrupt, this has happened with media player 10, apple quicktime and a sound forge file (all off official sites)

when i try to install something off a cd it says there is an error,

ive only just done a format (hd is partitioned, only did c: drive) and installed security updates which im having a lot of bother with, could this be something to do with it or is it cause i didnt do a full format of my hd?

Caporegime
its unlikely to be because you didnt do the full format, i allways use the quick format

if your getting errors with everything you download, could it be your Hard drive is on its way out

could you add on a slave drave and download stuff to that and see if the files still get corrupted ?

Soldato
OP
ive only got the one sata hd, and its a maxtor so that might be the problem, im having bother with it hanging when it starts up, and sometimes its says boot disc error (think thats what it says)

its only about a month old :(

can i rma this drive and get a refund to purchase a more reliable one?

edit: im using the default IE one

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
this is getting very annoying now. i downloaded £20 worth of music from a download site lastnight and they have skips in them...

ive ran both tests and they come back clear. (ive tried differant ram aswel as testing)

if its any more help my spec is:

opteron 148 (not overclocked)
asus a8ne
160 gb maxtor sata (partitioned c: 60gb (using 7gb so far) d:100gb)
aeroflower 9500 cooler
x800 gto2 graphics card
tagen 580w
windows xp pro sp2

Soldato
OP
now i cant watch video streams (although i can hear fine) they either dont show at all or come up as pink and other colours, i can sort of make out the image but something is going wrong somewhere??

Soldato
Try to get Maxtor Powermax utility to work.

Note: PowerMax v 4.21 will not detect ATA or SATA hard disks connected to embedded or add in RAID controllers, NVIDIA Force 4, VIA KT 600 and KT800 chipsets. If the hard disk is connected to an unsupported controller, it will have to be moved to an alternate system, or controller for diagnosis. Please check the PowerMax download page periodically for updates. Beginning March 1st 2005 all versions of PowerMax prior to v4.22 will no longer be supported. Maxtor recommends that you update to version 4.22 before testing your hard disk.

Back
Top Bottom