In the unlikely event of Leeds being relegated...

Soldato
Do you think they would survive? & if so how long do you think it would be before they popped back up into the premiership?

I ask this due to the 'reported' fact of them still being somewhere in the region of £70m in debt despite the amount of players sold raised, the fact they are gaining a reputation as a selling club & the likelyhood that having been relegated & no longer getting the premiership money, they would have to get rid of a load more players...(do they have enough players to sell?)

Thoughts on this & financial matters when relegated for any team??

Man of Honour
I think if Leeds were to somehow get relegated they would be in very serious trouble. The debts are still there and while they could probably sell enough players to sort enough of that out, they'd then have no players left to help them escape the clutches of the first division. It would be a long time before we saw them in the Prem again I would think.

Soldato
They would go straight into administration, Ridsdale would be fired if he hadnt already resigned, and stand a very real chance of the first "big" club to be wiped out completly IE closed down for ever.
You cant administer debts you have NO way of servicing.

Man of Honour
Kevin Keegan Mode

I'd love it if Thuggery United went down !

however I would not want them to go out of business. that would be a huge loss to the english game.

Man of Honour
You only have to look at recently relegated premiership clubs like Leciester, Derby, Ipswich etc and the financial troubles they have had to get an idea what might happen. The top flight wage bills seem to cripple big-spending clubs who go down, and I somehow doubt the aforementioned sides are shelling out as much a week as Leeds.

I guess you could say Man City were kinda "lucky" (wrong word, but you know what I mean) to get relegated when they did, before premiership spending went totally overboard, so they were able to claw themselves back up from the 2nd and 1st divisions

From what I understand, Each successive premiership place is worth another £500,000, so even when Leeds are assurred of safety from relegation they should keep playing like their livelihoods depend on it.

When the season is over, hopefully they will be able to offload Dacourt (Roma), Johnson (m'boro) and Viduka (Italy) to keep the creditors at bay for a little while longer.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by HangTime
You only have to look at recently relegated premiership clubs like Leciester, Derby, Ipswich etc and the financial troubles they have had to get an idea what might happen. The top flight wage bills seem to cripple big-spending clubs who go down, and I somehow doubt the aforementioned sides are shelling out as much a week as Leeds.

It's reported that the average wage at Leeds (ie incorporating the whole squad of players, the board, the cleaners, the caterers, everyone) is more than any other club in the land. Thats a lot of money.

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Gilly
It's reported that the average wage at Leeds (ie incorporating the whole squad of players, the board, the cleaners, the caterers, everyone) is more than any other club in the land. Thats a lot of money.

Ouch, that is a hell of a lot of money. Where & when did you get that stat from? Is that before you offloaded Rio/Keane/Woodgate etc?

Soldato
Originally posted by Disco_Dave
What's this based on?

You do get more money the higher up the table you finish.
Whether its half a mill a place i dont know, but it is a substantial amount of cash.

Soldato
If leeds go down they are in deep poo with their big debts. How much do you think they could raise selling there squad, heres my estimate..

Players worth selling..

Robinson say 5m,
Hart 2 - 3m
Barmby 3 - 4m
Viduka i really dunno 5 - 15m ???
Kewell 10m
Smith 10m

Anyone else ive missed out gilly?

Man of Honour
I'd say

matteo 2.5mill
mills 3mill
Harte 2mill
Robinson 5mill
Kewell 8mill
barmby 3mill
Smith 8-10mill
Viduka 7mill

thats about all the leeds players i can think of that other clubs might be interested in and as the transfer market has colapsed some of them values may well be inflated as it is now a buyers market and in the case of Leeds the buyer will always win in a price war due to there position.

Soldato
Originally posted by quackers
If leeds go down they are in deep poo with their big debts. How much do you think they could raise selling there squad, heres my estimate..

Players worth selling..

Robinson say 5m,
Hart 2 - 3m
Barmby 3 - 4m
Viduka i really dunno 5 - 15m ???
Kewell 10m
Smith 10m

Anyone else ive missed out gilly?

You are looking at:
Barmby 1.5 million
Viduka 6 million.
Kewell 8 million.
Smith 8 million.
Hart - free.
Mateo-free.
Robinson, clearly the best player left at the club- 9 million tops.

Man of Honour
I think on his form this season £6m for Viduka is being generous, as he seems a shadow of the player he was 2 seasons ago. Robbo would probably fetch the most, as no doubt Arsenal would want him, and would probably be prepared to pay that bit more to make sure they get him.

Soldato
Originally posted by Davey_Pitch
I think on his form this season £6m for Viduka is being generous, as he seems a shadow of the player he was 2 seasons ago. Robbo would probably fetch the most, as no doubt Arsenal would want him, and would probably be prepared to pay that bit more to make sure they get him.

Damn right we would, I'm emailing Arsene now.;)

Back
Top Bottom