A64 - PC4800/DDR600 - 1GBKit or 2GB Kit needed!

Soldato
Hello Memory Experts,

I have recently built my first A64 system and am just getting to grips with it all.

I am wanting to buy 1-2GB of new RAM to run in some ASUS A8N-SLI Premium systems, and I am looking at PC4800 (i.e can run 300MHz/DDR600 1:1 sync).

I'm aware that there is a small issue with this 1T/2T timings when running more than two sticks of memory, so maybe I will look into getting a 2GB(2x1GB) kit, but its possible I will go with a 1GB(2x512) kit of maybe 2x 1GB(4x512MB) as I have uses for extra memory in various machines.

I been out the memory game for 18months at least so I need a few suggestions to get me going. . .

After having spent half an hour skimming the web the 1GB set that catches my eye is the OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC4800 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2.5 as they seem to be performing well and look nice and (silver) shiny :)

300MHz 1:1 sync (DDR600/PC4800) for A64, whats your suggestions pls?

Soldato
Those OCZ's aren't rated for 1T IIRC however the Gskill FF's are (but are a fair bit more expensive). They are certainly good sticks either way though. Personally, I'd go for 2GB now and use a divider but then again, it's all down to usage. 2GB is actually cheaper than some 1GB sticks and seem to be the way forward.

Associate
This is probably entirely irrelevant but I'm running 2Gb Patriot at 1T but it's only rated at 3200 and I don't overclock. You might like to look at some reviews of Patriot memory.

Soldato
i'm with smids. check my sig, but with a64 you can just play around with the mem dividers to get your overclock. mem bandwidth scales with cpu speed on a64, so unless you need to wring every last mhz from you rig just gig some cheap 2x1gig sticks.

the extra money you spend on uber sticks is better spent on a better graphics card, or just saved for your next upgrade for all the difference you'll notice

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm aware the with AMD systems the memory bandwidth is all about CPU MHz , so yes the dividers would be no problem, however the set-up (sticks/mobo/cpu?) I am using at the moment do not allow me to use a memory divider so I have been doing all my CPU overclocking tests using 1:1 sync, not ideal I know but I had no choice, however I got access now to a few GB of other memory so will have to see whats up with this divider issue? (probably the Ballistix stick I am using atm).

So which 2GB G-SKill kit is recommended if I can use dividers, that will run 200-250MHz ish?

Back
Top Bottom