Dual-Core Cooling Advice

Associate
Hi Guys,

As the title suggests I currenly have a dual core opteron 170 (as per my sig) and I am using a ThermalTake Silent Tower to cool her down but I still fell that it could be doing a better job, and yes i'm using AS5.

I was wondering if you could advise a better CPU cooler for my CPU?

I've been priming both cored for 8 hours now and its fairly consistant @ 52C.

Also, watercooling isn't an option. Maybe over the summer of before i27...

Soldato
whats this prime thing... how do you work it to actually do anything.. and how long do you leave it on for..

im a proper n00b at this prime thing as ive never bothered with it... i just do the stress test with SysTool.

Associate
OP
lemonkettaz said:
whats this prime thing... how do you work it to actually do anything.. and how long do you leave it on for..

im a proper n00b at this prime thing as ive never bothered with it... i just do the stress test with SysTool.

The below guide should highlight what Priming is and so on...

http://forum.overclockersonline.com...74&start=0&S=d9cbc89dbda87fddd565ba42f79a5197

I've been running both Cores Flatout for the past 8 hours and it is a little warm. I think if I go for water I will for for the swiftech 220, as this has had some extremely good reviews but I need a good air cooler for the time being!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Agent :cool:

Soldato
id recommend the gpower cooler... gigabyte...

it always keeps my cpu in the 30-37C mark.

very easy to install with 939 sockets.... and good reviews. dont think many people on here like it though... i dont know

Associate
Hi m8...I've just stuck a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on my Opteron 170, with a PanaFlo M1A fan......currently running P95, dual instances at 2.8Ghz/1.375v :)

Soldato
Bito said:
Hi m8...I've just stuck a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on my Opteron 170, with a PanaFlo M1A fan......currently running P95, dual instances at 2.8Ghz/1.375v :)

Good choice of cooler, CPU and fan :p in fact best combination you can get imo :)

Associate
OP
Bito said:

I like the setup...

But I dont see the PanaFlo fans on the OcUK webby.

Should I go for the "Delta 120mm Focussed Flow Fan" or will that just be too loud?

Associate
Hmmm they do run hot don't they. Here is a link to some reviews on cpu coolers.
The Zalman looks best. I have the Zalman and there are no clearance issues.
They run hot because there are two cores drawing power. As long as you dont get close to 70C you will have no real issues.
On the plus side you can turn down the central heating!!

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=37&threadid=1723066&enterthread=y

Back
Top Bottom