IE7 Public Beta 2

Soldato
It will do essentially, but you can uninstall it. I would highly recommend you keep this off your main rig though. As better as it may be to beta 1, it still is a beta, and has every chance of messing you up.

Soldato
Datamonkey said:
Craig, yep over writes ie6, but all you have to do to remove it is goto add/remove and tick show updates.

Its looking good i like a lot.

OK, good good :). As said above, I'm gonna uninstall after a little bit of testing and seeing how it is, don't want to risk breaking everything as I couldn't be bothered to restore backups etc.

It's quite nice, looks good etc. Basically the same as Mozilla though...

Glad to see that it has a nice quick startup like IE6 does, but that's just about the only thing it has different to Mozilla.

Thanks
Craig.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems pretty good to me so far. Page rendering is uber quick, certainly compared to IE6. The tabs are nothing new - would like to see a bit more configurability there.

One thing I'll say is that not having the traditional menu bar will take some getting used to!

Associate
Thought I would give this a quick try after reading about it on here earlier.

Looks quite nice,not tried the tabbed browsing yet but like the text style.

I guess its a little difficutlt to adjust to after the "old style" IE

Does anyone know the timescale for full release?

Steve

Man of Honour
I have given it a little try and it seems OK. Still nowhere near as fast or feature laden as Opera but it is a move in the right direction.

Rather strangely MSN UK site appears to be broken in IE7 and fine in Opera. :D Nice one Bill.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Steve JL said:
Thought I would give this a quick try after reading about it on here earlier.

Looks quite nice,not tried the tabbed browsing yet but like the text style.

I guess its a little difficutlt to adjust to after the "old style" IE

Does anyone know the timescale for full release?

Steve
The UI is still not finished in this Beta 2 Preview so with any luck the final version won't have such a steep "relearning curve" :)

To be honest I think they're going to drag this one out, possibly all the way till just before Vista. I'm guessing it'll be a Q2-Q3 launch.

Associate
Caged said:
Ok mine's falling over at every install. Something about msfeed.dll (I think).

From here: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/

I am getting an error stating that msfeeds.dll cannot be found. What do I do?

Some anti-spyware and anti-virus software is known to interfere with IE7’s ability to install. We do not recommend disabling these programs and if the steps below don’t help you, we recommend that you wait until a future release in which we hope to have addressed the problem. Please don’t hesitate to send feedback (via newsgroups, email, or the feedback reporting tool) and let us know which software programs are causing this problem so we can be sure to follow up with them.

The most common cause is permissions being set to read only for certain entries in the Windows registry. This has been discussed in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general newsgroup (accessible through the web here) by Stephen Anacker. He gave this workaround for the problem:

This happened because the permissions on a registry key has been changed. On install we archive all the keys which involves both reading and writing to the keys. Some application has changed the permissions on the .tif and .tiff registry keys to not allow administrator full control over the key. What we need to do is change the permissions to allow the administrator to right and archive the key. This is the workaround, it involves changing registry keys so do this at your own risk.
Go to Start then "Run" type "regedit" in the run box and enter.
In regedit expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT in the left pane and the scroll down to the entry ".tif"
Right click on the entry in the left pane, select "permissions..."
In the permissions box select the "administrators" group.
Click on the "Advanced" button at the lower right.
Select administrators and click edit.
In the next dialogue check to allow box for "full control".
Repeat this with the .tiff key
Save and close.
Install IE7

Back
Top Bottom