Martial Arts.............Aikido

Soldato
Does anybody in here doe this martial art at all. I used to do kickboxing but my club went down the pan just over a year ago and so didnt want to travel upto 45 mins each way to carry on :( However, now i've got time to kill again I thought about filling the void with Aikido as i've heard its very practical in terms of self-defense.

Just wondered what you guys thought of it and if any of you have had any experience of it at all.

EDIT: Or failing the above I was also looking at Tai Chi, though i'm aware they are completely different they both interest me from what i've heard :)

Soldato
I practised this a bit. Is a way of using the aggressor's power and anger against themselves. The best bit is playing with the weapons :cool:

I believe Steven Seagal is a master of this martial Art too.

Soldato
OP
Nedved11 said:
I practised this a bit. Is a way of using the aggressor's power and anger against themselves. The best bit is playing with the weapons :cool:

I believe Steven Seagal is a master of this martial Art too.

really, I thought he did jujitsu or something :)

Soldato
MarkyMark said:
really, I thought he did jujitsu or something :)

He probably did touch on it but not a master in it. Aikido, karate, judo, and kendo were his specialties. He gave me a lot of inspiration when i was younger, he sings too :o

Man of Honour
Nedved11 said:
He probably did touch on it but not a master in it. Aikido, karate, judo, and kendo were his specialties. He gave me a lot of inspiration when i was younger, he sings too :o

Aye, out of all the movie actors/actresses that do martial arts apparently Mr seagal is the only one who knows his ****.

I think he's the only non Japanese person to have either be awarded super grand master status (or something) or open up an aikido school in the Orient.

Soldato
OP
Nedved11 said:

So assuming you don't do it now how come you finished with it? And while doing it, did you find that what they taught would be useful in a real life situation?

I hate martial arts that expect a "Mortal Combat/Streetfighter" style fight. Most fights end up brawling up close yet a lot of martial arts dont seem to see this somehow. This was putting me off my kickboxing a bit as it was supposed to be kickboxing and self defense. Adn although there were a few arm locks etc. it was mainly different punches and kicks which are great if I was attacking 1st with the element of surprise :rolleyes: lol but that defeats the object of self defense :)

Soldato
OP
greenlizard0 said:
Aye, out of all the movie actors/actresses that do martial arts apparently Mr seagal is the only one who knows his ****.

I think he's the only non Japanese person to have either be awarded super grand master status (or something) or open up an aikido school in the Orient.

thats quite shocking actually, because you'd think that Jet Li and Jackie Chan would be awarded for what they can do.

Soldato
MarkyMark said:
So assuming you don't do it now how come you finished with it? And while doing it, did you find that what they taught would be useful in a real life situation?

I hate martial arts that expect a "Mortal Combat/Streetfighter" style fight. Most fights end up brawling up close yet a lot of martial arts dont seem to see this somehow. This was putting me off my kickboxing a bit as it was supposed to be kickboxing and self defense. Adn although there were a few arm locks etc. it was mainly different punches and kicks which are great if I was attacking 1st with the element of surprise :rolleyes: lol but that defeats the object of self defense :)

Well was a mixture of not enough time, uni etc and just broke out of habit, very hard to go back. I'd like to start up again but I'm lazy like that. Football keeps me occupied most of the time these days.
I'd say do a mixture of Jiu Jitsu and Aikido, they are very similar. Some of the throws and submissions are pretty identical. Jiu Jitsu is more physical i think, Aikido is more harmonious... untill you get the swords out ;) :D

Edit: yeah would come handy in a real life situation but have not had to use any of it. You have to remember in a situation where your life could be in danger, it will be very difficult to remember what you were taught, as instinct kicks in straight away...

Last edited:
Soldato
Judo and Aikido here, you do need a strict instructor though for aikido, sloppy technique from your sparring partners result in broken bones, I have several weakened ribs and a slightly off centre nose to testify :( people not knowing the basic break falls landing on you is no fun at all.

Soldato
Heres some good advice.....go down to the club and do one session....if you like it then carry on. imo clubs vary so much that one persons art and club that he can recommend to high hell will not be the same as the same art, different club 30 mins down the road.
Aikido is basically an art form of using the opponents energy and motion to redirect, neutralise and control them. As well as having a lot of Randori (sparring element) its concept is that it is a very spiritual art that utilises effective breathing techniques.

Soldato
OP
Hmmmmm thanks for all the information and opinions everyone :) When people say its to do with breathing techniques, and that its a kind of spiritual thing am I right in guessing that some of the lessons you wouldnt touch a pad or kickshield at all. Thats not a problem or anything. I am just trying to visualise what a lesson is like because when I did kickboxing we warmed up for about 15-20 and then practiced combo's and sequences while knocking crap out of the kickshields etc. It was an agressive martial art and mostly offensive in the sense that bar a few blocks, ducks and dodges everything seemed to be designed to inflict damage.

Associate
Although I studied Karate, at our annual summer training courses we did some Aikido with a Czech instructor who's a combat teacher for their police etc - it was really good stuff, and some of the techniques are really useful for practical self defence - the Czech guy reckoned he used it a lot in the field, as he was often seconded to units dealing with violent criminals. I dreaded having him demonstrate the locks and holds on me, it felt like my bones were going to go snap every time :eek:

Associate
Nedved11 said:

he can also beat anyone as long as he fights in the kitchen, think its some sort of super power he has.

Soldato
Aikido is a defensive art, not a offensive art. You shouldnt have any kick shield or other sorts of training in the dojo. It would mainly be stretching and warming the muscles, and possibly some CV warming up.
Seagal is a 7th dan in Aikido....I would have more respect for him if he wasnt in love with himself so much.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
IceBus said:
If you're interested in Aikido I'd recommend reading 'Angry White Pajamas' by Robert Twigger - very interesting and entertaining book :)

Seconded... what did he call the callouses on his knees..... knobbies??

Soldato
IceBus said:
I thought that was the hard little bumps on his back from doing back breakfalls?

Regardless, it's a great read :D Makes me really want to take a martial art at Uni :)

twas indeed, the bumps at the base of his back.

He dreaded getting "infected knobbies" :D

Back
Top Bottom