Opinions of the Mk1 Corsa?

Man of Honour
peter212693 said:
how come everyone thinks so low of the Corsa? :confused:

Becuase it isn't a very good car - it doesn't handle very well, the interiors are flimsey and spartan, the exteriors look very shabby very fast with black plastic bits which turn light grey after exposure to air for more than 30 seconds, you can do much better by buying something Japanese, imho.

Soldato
Solid enough, tend not to rot unless not looked after. Expecially around the b pillar and around the windscreen, also from stone chips on the front of the bonnet and around the rear wiper.

I picked up a minter of a 1994 SRi for just £700 so it is possible !

/edit and i didnt need to spend a penny fixing it.

Associate
You can buy better for the money. Drove the GF's for a couple of weeks in the summer. Brakes were good, but the car just felt so sloppy. Specifically, the ride is what did it for me, it crashes and then wobbles over bumps. This was also a Mk 1.5 (97 on). I'm not comparing it to a supercar either, just to my 306 which has done over 100k miles.

One possible good point for new drivers, is that the car gives you lots of warning when you are losing grip with progressive understeer if you are pushing it too hard. Unlike my peugeot which will grip and grip until it runs out and starts under or oversteering quite dramatically...

If you have to have a corsa, ignore the 1.2 8v and the 1.7D, these are the worst of the bunch, even for a learner driver, i would not recommend these as they are almost dangerously underpowered.

If you are a younger driver in a high risk area (i.e: Northen Ireland or London), those 1.0 12v's are damn cheap to run and insure though.

Soldato
Handling is fine on the corsa, again people dissing vauxhall handling based on experiences in 'other peoples' cars. Wobbling and crashing over bumps, sliding around like a bar of soap? Sounds like poor maintanence or even worse driving to me. Yes interiors arn't too hot on the base models and are a tad spartan (the micra's isn't?) but a sri or sport are near enough. They are reliable, very easy and cheap to work on and parts are peanuts. Fuel economy is good, ins group low. All in all pretty crap then.

Back
Top Bottom